Five Friends You’ll See At Home During Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Whether it is your first or fourth college winter break, you are sure to run into a few of these friends from high school. We’ve broken them down (and generalized them, quite honestly), and given you tips on how to deal! This way you don’t have to be terrified of running into them at Target. We’ve all been there.

The Friend: The Eager Beaver

Your reaction:

Defining Trait: Tons of texts saying: “Let’s all meet up at [local burger joint name] tonight! Just like old times :)”

What’s great about them: They’re always trying to get the good ol’ gang back together, so they’ve kept tabs on everyone and are a wealth of information. And to be honest, their excitement is kind of endearing.

What’s not-so-great about them: They are so focused on being chummy with all of your old high school friends, you may not be able to hang out with family or new friends you’ve met from college that live in your area.

How to deal: Give into a few of their energetic texts and meet up with old friends, drink a pint, swap some war stories. These are the people that stuck by your side during some of your most awkward and embarrassing moments, after all. But feel free to draw the line when they ask you to sing and dance to “We Go Together” from Grease.

The Friend: The Too Cool for School

Your reaction:

Defining Trait: All they can talk about is how much they hate being home and how they’d much rather be in whatever exotic place they traveled to this year.

What’s great about them: Even though they think their too cool for their hometown now, they probably have experienced tons of crazy shenanigans and adventures which would make for really great stories.

What’s not-so-great about them: After hearing stories about their awesome internship or their fling with Jean-Luc while studying abroad, you might be feeling pressured to have some crazy shenanigans and adventures of your own.

How to deal: Before you start piercing things a la The Parent Trap or daring yourself to the cinnamon challenge, step back and realize that you’re different people, and you’re not obligated to have the same college experience as them. Who knows, they actually might be jealous of your cool stories.

The Friend: The Partier Hardier

Your reaction:

Defining Trait: Tries to host as many house parties as they can during the break to show everyone what a party animal they’ve turned into.

What’s great about them: When things hit that point of total boredom while you’re home, you can always look to them to liven things up!

What’s not-so-great about them: I mean it is winter break…so you kind of wanted to spend some much needed time in your sweats, in your bed, watching nothing but all of the Netflix shows you’ve been waiting to watch all semester. And something just seems wrong about taking a shot with the kid that used to try to cheat off of you in history.

How to deal: Show up if you just can’t handle your little brother rapping Macklemore anymore (and especially if you’ve developed some serious beer pong skills), but don’t feel obligated to show up to every rager ready to shotgun a beer. Maybe suggest a chill kickback or wine night. We all need a break from those red solo cups every now and then.

The Friend:  The Samesies

Your reaction: 

Defining Trait: They R who they R (as Ke$ha would say), and who they always have been.

What’s great about them: There is something really refreshing about seeing someone who is happy and confident with who they are. They don’t have any expectations of anyone (or of themselves) to act a certain way. They’re just living their life.

What’s not-so-great about them: You do want to make sure their growing and having new experiences. College is certainly not the time to stick to old habits.

How to deal: If you’re going to a cool concert or trying a new restaurant, invite them along! Sometimes people need help being pushed out of their comfort zone a little bit.

The Friend:  The Newlywed/engaged

Your reaction:

Defining Trait: They just got engaged or married. And nothing is more thrilling than showing off that rock they just got.

What’s great about them: Okay, so y’all have been planning your dream weddings since the fifth grade, so it’s kinda cool to see hers come true. 

What’s not-so-great about them: You can only talk about the difference between ice white and “normal” white white (there’s a difference?!) and DIY centerpieces for so long. And all of her talk about how her incredible fiance/husband is making you feel just a little bit single. All my single ladies! Where’s Beyonce when you need her?

How to deal: Depending on how close you are with her, you can offer to help out with one or two project if she asks, or you might even be in her bridal party! Think of it as a living pinterest wedding board, and write down all the tips you want to use for your own wedding! (That will be happening so, so many years from now.)

How’d we do? Did we miss any? Who are you excited to see when you get home?