Five Artists to Follow Up on After SXSW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

South by Southwest infiltrated Austin in large numbers this year bringing in both up-and-coming and popular artists from around the globe March 11-17. Now that Austinites have returned to their semi-normal, but obviously weird-by-nature lives, traffic has remained a nightmare and parking still ensues heartache, but at least we now have new music to listen to thanks to the eclectic mix of sounds that contaminated our souls.

Jetta
The UK continues historical accounts of the British Invasion with artists that string together lyrics as a reflection of my life, and Jetta, who has captured my heart, is all that and then some. The beautiful Liverpool native was destined to be a rock star even while in the womb before being born to her music guru parents. Don’t let her petite frame fool you; her soulful vocals paired with rocktastic beats are spine tingling. She was spotted at the Holy Mountain at the Third Shift Never Clock Out party. I asked her when her album was coming out since YouTube videos can only fulfill so much of a void, and she replied with, “… in the US in a few months.” Until summer, check her out:
Jetta- “Start A Riot

Twenty One Pilots
Fly high with Twenty One Pilots and get lifted with a genre that you more than likely wouldn’t expect. They opened for Tegan and Sara and Paramore at a night showcase, and although they were new to the crowd, these two guys easily won them over. A little bit of punk, rock, pop, and oh yeah, they rap. Didn’t expect that, did you? The duo gave the crowd exactly what they weren’t expecting intricately blending together all of the genres that influence them to be who they are. A fellow HC writer described them as a mix of “Eminem and fun.” But don’t take our word for it; purchase their album, Vessel

Twenty One Pilots- “Holding On To You

Walk Off The Earth

Four guys plus one dynamic lady orchestrate the Walk Off The Earth family. In fact, two band members are expecting a musical bundle of joy in June. In the meantime, the group just released their full-length album, R.E.V.O. (Realize Every Victory Outright), including their single “Red Hands.” The indie band became well known for their cover to Gotye and Kimbra’s “Somebody That I Used to Know,” all five band members on one guitar receiving over 147 million YouTube views. The album offers a mix of feelings too: a few love songs, feel good tunes fit for summer, and of course, the band’s cover to Gotye and Kimbra’s hit single. Walk off the earth with R.E.V.O. and realize why they’re so victorious.

Walk Off The Earth- “Red Hands

ZZ Ward

Yes, the face behind the “’Til the Casket Drops,” introduction song, ZZ Ward is tearing up the scene with plenty of songs to get you over your ex (or something good to study to). Her unique soul and hip-hop presence took over the stage as she belted ballads paired with her dynamic band. Her songs are poetic stories of the fortunate and unfortunate tales of love, and we’ve all been there. The exes are now only a figment of her past and the inspiration to her spine tingling, “Yes, I’ve been there,” records. She performed at the KGSR morning broadcast and got the first standing ovation! Purchase her album ‘Til the Casket Drops, and prepare that anti-guy playlist to let bygones be bygones.

ZZ Ward- “Put The Gun Down

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

They’re so much more than the “Thrift Shop” phenomenon that took over our generation. Now that we know we don’t have to spend $50 on a shirt, let’s explore the duo as more than just a one-hit-wonder that will soon die away. Their album The Heist is now available in stores and features “Thrift Shop,” and their second single “Same Love.” The duo can create a fun record about shopping and then tackle marriage equality all on one album. The two were all over SXSW including the Waterloo free day parties, drawing a huge crowd to the parking lot. In case you were one of the unfortunate fellows to miss them, purchase their album to get the entire Macklemore & Ryan Lewis experience. 

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – “Same Love

While you’re at it, don’t forget to check out music from some of SXSW’s more mainstream acts like Kendrick Lamar, Solange and Justin Timberlake
Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.