This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Meet Megan Futch, a Texas Volleyball player and senior who has a National Championship, two Big 12 Championships, and two trips to the Final Four under her belt. Besides being extremely talented, (check out her massive National Championship ring for proof), she’s down-to-earth, energetic, and always has a smile on her face!

Her Campus Texas: You didn’t start out your career at Texas. Can you tell us about your journey here?

Megan Futch: I went right out of high school to college in Long Island, New York and I played two seasons there. However, I started talking to a couple of schools to see about playing volleyball somewhere else. The coaching staff from Texas wanted me, but without a scholarship available I had to apply on my own. I applied, got in, and came to Texas in January 2012.

HCTX: Is there a reason why you picked Texas?

MF: I feel like Texas picked me. The culture fit me so well, and once I talked to the coaches my heart was set on coming here.

HCTX: How did you balance volleyball, school, and having a personal life?

MF: I didn’t! Volleyball took up most of my life, between workouts, practicing, or traveling for games and everything else took a backseat. I tried to have a social life, but when you have a dream or a goal you just have to put everything on hold. Thankfully school kind of comes naturally for me, and I’ve always had a busy life so I don’t really know any differently.

HCTX: Now that your career is over, what has Texas Volleyball meant to you?

MF: It’s meant hard work and dedication. It’s meant turning dreams into reality. And it’s meant opportunity for a great future ahead of me.

HCTX: What have you been doing since the season is over?

MF: Over the break I hung out with my family and went to Puerto Rico on a mission trip. Now I work two jobs, coaching a 13-year-olds club team and conditioning horses for a barrel racer. I go dancing a lot at Midnight Rodeo. My favorite thing to do is to go two stepping! Volleyball and being an athlete has defined me my whole life, and now that I’m not a varsity athlete I am getting to find who I am. It’s definitely a process that never ends, but I’m choosing who I want to be and just enjoying life.

HCTX: What did you do in Puerto Rico?

MF: I went with FOCUS, the Fellowship of Catholic University Students. We ran a volleyball camp through the Boys and Girls Club for the Puerto Rican kids. We tried local food, went to the beach, and even partied Puerto Rican style for New Year’s Eve at a local family’s house!

HCTX: What was the biggest thing you learned from the trip?

MF: Love. The young girls we worked with didn’t come from much material-wise, but they had so much love in their families and community. Relationships are extremely important to them, and you could tell that from watching their friendships and how they treated each other. It was extremely touching how much they genuinely loved me and the other girls who went on the trip. We had known these little girls for less than a week, and they just welcomed us in and loved us like we were their family.

HCTX: What made you want to go on a mission trip?

MF: I love to travel, and it was such a cool chance to see another culture and get to learn. For me, the term missionary meant “student,” and I wanted to learn and be open. I was really hoping that while I was there something extraordinary would happen that would really change me or change my life. And at the end when it didn’t, I realized that God knows me better than I know myself, and He knew I wouldn’t be able to handle something crazy. So instead He gave me an opportunity to be loved, and share something like volleyball that I’m passionate about and that He’s blessed me with. I had an opportunity to learn, and experience God’s love, and grace, and mercy.  

HCTX: That sounds like such an awesome experience. Looking forward, what are your plans after graduation?

MF: Right now I have no idea! I really like kids and coaching, and I’ve thought about getting my teaching credentials and becoming involved with that. I also love horses and horse therapy, so I’ve thought about looking into veterinary stuff too. I guess I just want to try different things and see what God’s calling me to do. I’m pretty okay with not knowing and letting things unfold after graduation. I’m excited for whatever’s next!