Dancers Shape: Fit for Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

This is a sponsored post as part of the “Fit for Summer” Challenge, presented by Dancers Shape and Her Campus Texas.

Getting fit for the summer… is that what I’ve been doing? What have I got to show for three weeks of exercise classes so far? I think my hamstrings have been worked in whole new ways and my tummy is flattening out a bit (or am I imagining this?). But three weeks isn’t really that long in terms of lifestyle and body change. To be honest, I haven’t changed my diet all that much other than watching my portions, eating balanced meals, and trying to avoid unhealthy snacks. I felt that I needed to address my exercise routine more than my eating habits, and my goal has always been a sustainably healthy lifestyle rather than fast and glamorous results. So if there aren’t any obvious changes in my appearance yet, I guess that wasn’t really the point in the first place.

However, something that I have effectively gotten rid of is the guilt that comes from not exercising enough! Boy is that long gone. And actually, I think this is pretty significant. A big part of well-being is what you think of yourself. It’s pretty killer when you look into the mirror and think you are flabby and lazy. You get stuck in that land of Could’ve-should’ve-would’ve. If you get yourself in a good exercise routine then you can knock out at least one of those bad adjectives and look forward to a future with better health and physical appearance. Sometimes I try to picture the fatty tissue lining my organs and blood vessels going away too (is that weird?).

So yes, bikini season is right around the corner, and no, I probably won’t have the perfect body by then. But I am content to battle the much longer lasting issue of self-image first and be healthy for life.

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.