Collegiettes Weigh in on Gun Control

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

On Thursday, Jan. 17, Texas Senator Brian Birdwell filed Bill 182 that would allow students, faculty, and staff to carry concealed handguns on campus. Several shootings, including the Sandy Hook tragedy, inaugurated a heated debate on whether concealed handguns should be allowed on campuses.  Female students on the UT campus were asked how they would feel, safety-wise, if the bill were passed.

A number of female UT students stated their concern with the fact that not everyone is physically or mentally capable of carrying a handgun. Many said that the bill has its pros and cons but that an educational institution is not a suitable place to have a weapon.

“I don’t think there should be an armed person on an elementary or middle school campus. I just don’t think it’s necessary to have one on a campus,” said Taylor Oglesby, a UT junior who also says that she would not even consider obtaining a handgun.

UTPD Officer Layne Brewster said that even if the legislation were to pass, nothing would change, because they have been trained to always be prepared as if there was a shooter on campus. Therefore, security-wise, restraints would be the same.

Last year there were a total of 10 school shootings scattered out throughout the twelve-month period, but in January 2013 alone, there were a total of eight shootings, according to The Trumpet.

“For me, this isn’t just about the firearm. It’s about trusting citizens with their God-given constitutional right,” said Senator Birdwell. 

If a student were to decide that he or she wanted to carry a concealed handgun on campus, there are several lengthy requirements that would have to be met before they are entrusted with a weapon.

According to the Campus Personal Protection Act, a citizen who wants to obtain a concealed handgun license has to be 21 years of age; pass state and federal background checks; turn in their fingerprints to the Department of Public Safety; pass a mental and drug test; cannot have standing criminal fees; must be able to buy the handgun in Texas; and must complete a minimum of 10 training hours.

“Every person has the right to bear arms,” says UT senior Jasymne Alexander. “If I choose to protect myself with a firearm, that is my individual right as an American, even if that means carrying it on a campus as large as UT.” 

Contrary to popular belief, according to a Huffington Post poll, women are actually more supportive of stricter gun laws, regardless of political party or financial status. With crime rates rising, some women feel that owning a gun would help as a self-defense tactic. But there are still students who believe otherwise.

“I am against this bill. Statistics show women are less safe when guns are present. I don’t trust these people,” said UT junior Perri Watts.

According to Officer Brewster, if the legislation were to pass, she does not believe there will be any impact on female students on campus. “We are trained to be prepared, so it’ll just be as it is now.”

While campus security may stay the same if this bill were to go through, UTPD strongly suggests for female students to go through self-defense classes, always be aware of their surroundings, take advantage of the call boxes scattered around campus and just be cautious at all times. 

Photo: http://heyhomee.com/2012/06/08…

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.