The Cold Truth of Crushes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Have you ever had that feeling when you see a guy you like? You know, you forget oxygen is a necessity and quit breathing, your heart beats a little fast, your forehead starts to sweat, you giggle a bit, and for some reason you forget how to control your blinking while you wait for a hello and his nice biceps to embrace you? Yeah me neither. Just kidding, I’m pretty sure I’ve had that feeling several times since I was able to walk! Again, I’m joking. In all honesty this is probably the greatest yet worst feeling ever. It’s all nice and dandy to have a crush on someone because seeing him, talking to him, and spending time with him only brightens your day more. However, the situation could go sour out of nowhere. The second you find out he has a girlfriend, likes another girl, or has already placed you in the friend zone your heart beat slows down and you manage to regain control of your eyelids. We get stuck in that state of what could be, but most likely won’t. Yes, it hurts and yes, complaining to your friends eases the pain. But don’t start to stress over your newfound confusion. Instead let us here at Her Campus Texas tell you the truth about what will happen next.

First, if he has a girlfriend stop making wishes at 11:11 that he will see how horrible she is and tomorrow he will confess his undying love for you. It’s not going to happen. Sorry for the honesty ladies but home-wrecking is not the way to go. Don’t point out how his girlfriend flirts with every piece of guy she meets, or tell him how he can do better than what he’s got. Chances are if he thought he could do better, he probably wouldn’t be with her in the first place. Just walk away and realize that somewhere out in this field of Longhorns awaits other guys with bigger biceps without a ball and chain.

Now if he just has a crush on a girl that isn’t you there is a chance to turn the situation around. Try to hang out with him a little more so that he can really get to know you. I’ve been in this situation and sadly I’m the kind of girl who just gives up, with her head hung low, and starts distancing herself from the guy. Please don’t be lead by my pathetic example. My best friend always says that if you want something you have to fight for it. So if you really think that this guy has the potential to be in an awesome relationship with you, it’s necessary to pull out all stops. Do not try to play games in order to get his feelings for her to go away, but instead be real and show him the other options he has: you!

Prepare yourself because this next one might change your life. If you’re in the friend zone you really have no chance.

Man, I wish I could see the facial expressions made after reading that sentence. But really the chances your friendship will go to the next level are 40/60 and maybe even less. Sure you have a friend who has a fairytale life and her and her best guy friend fell in love and they are now ruining your life by flaunting their romance. However, it doesn’t always go down so smoothly. With all these romantic movies girl’s heads are filled with ideas that they will become friends with a guy who will then turn out to be their future husband. Look at the situation from his point of view: All girls have that one guy friend that they can never see themselves dating, and that my friends is how he sees you. Don’t break the tissues out just yet, because your buddy could possibly have feelings for you. If so you are the lucky 40 percent who will get to tell your children how you fell in love with your best friend. Sigh.

Now it may seem that I’ve contradicted myself a few times in this article but really it’s the male specimen’s fault. If they weren’t so darn complex it would be a lot easier to get through these situations. If they would just concentrate on their girlfriend, let us know when we are really just friends with them, and stop crushing on some girl who isn’t on our level of awesomeness, our lives would be so much easier. You can’t live with men, and you can’t live without them. But really, why would we want to live without them?  That fast-beating heart, sweaty forehead, giggly and turbo-blinking feeling is nice from time to time. 

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.