Casey McCool: Costume Design Extraordinare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Name: Casey McCool

Major: Costume Design

Year: Junior

Her Campus Texas: Why did you pick your major?

CM: I’ve always been very interested in art and theatre and at one point had an interest in fashion design. Costume design was a way for me to condense all of those interests and gain skills for any of those areas. It’s honestly a very lucky and ideal situation for me.

HCTX: What do you love most about it?

CM: It’s hard to choose one thing, I love how applicable it is to different fields and that the work is simultaneously very tangible and something that spawns from my imagination (combined with tons of research!)

HCTX: Did you always know this was what you wanted to do?

CM: Definitely not, and that’s part of why I love it so much. I came to the university as an acting focus and thought that was definitely wanted to do, but as I took classes in acting and costuming I realized design just clicked with me. It was a very exciting experience to find that I really wanted to do this and truly be in love and committed to it.

HCTX: Could you tell us a little bit about your Etsy page MissMcCool?

CM: MissMcCool is an online shop I started over the summer where I sell knit and crocheted accessories. Everything in the shop is handmade by me. I wanted an outlet for my crafting hobbies that would allow me to share my creations with other people and Etsy was it! It can be found at etsy.com/shop/MissMcCool.

HCTX: What are your goals for after graduation?

CM: I would really love to go to grad school for costume design, seeing the work that the grad students in the department do has really inspired me.

HCTX: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

CM: I honestly don’t know, which I don’t think is a bad thing. This degree could take me so many different routes and I’m excited to see where this all goes.

HCTX: What do you like to do in your free time? Hobbies?

CM: I am a very boring person, my free time consists of (you guessed it) knitting and crocheting, watching Netflix, or playing games on my DS.