Back in the Swing of Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Winter break is over and we’re working on getting back in the swing of things. On one hand, it’s nice to get a break from family (we love you, but if we have to hear one more comment about us being single, we’re not coming back) and on the other hand, we’re struggling to remember how we ate before break, when food wasn’t free or made with love by our talented mothers. Winter break is long and wonderful, but it leaves us feeling a little bit like a blindfolded kid that’s been spun around too many times in front of the piñata. We KNOW the keys to good study habits, eating and peace of mind are in our brain somewhere, we just can’t find them and we’re left silently begging for help. Here are some tips to help you get through the weeks until spring break (we can’t promise that after that you’ll have the motivation to finish the last stretch).

1. Make a list

For everything. Seriously. Have a lot of homework this week? Make a list: what will take the most time? What is due first? It’s going to help you relax, and nothing feels better than crossing it out after it’s done. Make a list for the grocery store too! We’ve all gone into the grocery store and tried to remember everything we need and we all know you always forget something. So keep your list on the fridge where you and your roommates can add to it, and you’ll find it’s much easier to live.

2. Exercise

Quit laughing, we’re serious! Exercise is a great way to relieve stress, help your body out, and give your mind that much needed “you” time. That doesn’t mean you have to go to the gym and start lifting weights, it could be plugging in your headphones and taking a little jog or walk around the park, waking up a little earlier to do a yoga class, or learning that Justin Bieber or Beyonce music video dance you’ve been watching on youtube during study breaks (aha, we caught you). Exercise is for YOU, and it will make you feel better, think better and sleep better.

3. Plan Your Meals

There’s nothing worse than running late for class and realizing you don’t have time for breakfast or lunch. Use some of your Sunday evenings to solve this problem and meal plan! Only have an hour for lunch on Monday and Wednesdays? Set aside a part of your fridge for your meals those days. A little bag for your vegetables, fruit or nuts. Cook the rice ahead of time and keep it in the fridge so you have it ready. Not only will it save you time, but you’ll start eating healthier, too.

4. Don’t Stop Your Hobbies

We’re all going to have the weeks where there’s time for nothing else but studying. However, there is still time in the day to do what makes us happy. Is it painting? Reading? Riding your bike? Next time you have a free hour, set Twitter aside and do something that really, truly, makes you happy. Your mind will thank you later.

5. Set Reminders and Alarms On Your Phone

Forgot your planner again? Pull out your phone and set a reminder for yourself that your first quiz is in three days. Always late for class? Set an alarm on your phone 15 minutes before you have to leave to remind yourself.

6. Call Your Mom. Your Dad. Your Siblings. Your Grandparents.

It’s easy to talk to your friends. You see them during the day, or you’re always on the phone texting them. But sometimes, what you really need is to contact the people who were there from the start. Your mom knows you’re awesome, and she wants to tell you. Your dad really wants to hear about that cool new class you’re taking. Your sisters miss you and don’t even realize it. And a call to your grandparents will make their week. Besides, if we’re being honest, we need all of that more than they do.

7. Check the Weather for All Day

It’s Texas. Who knows what the weather will be in an hour, much less tomorrow. Before you get dressed take a glance at the weather for the ENTIRE day. What will it be like on your walk to class. What about on your walk back from class? Chances are, the weather will be drastically different, and it might just save you from sweat or freezing hands.

8. Print Out Photos

When you’re banging your head on your desk, or close to tears over a missed homework assignment, it will be nice to look up and see the pictures from your ski trip, your dog, or of you and your brother. It’ll remind you to smile and make your room even more personal.

Feeling like you’re remembering how you handled first semester now? Ready to make it even better? Us too. Sometimes, you have to put in a little extra work, like finding 30 minutes to go for a jog, or pausing the netflix to call your grandparents, but trust me, you’ll be glad you did. Happy Spring Semester!

Juliet is in her third year at the University of Texas. She's passionate about Texas football, dogs, Harry Potter and changing the world.