Austin Fashion Week: The Wrap Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

In case you haven’t already heard, Austin recently had one of its most fashionable weeks ever.  Founder, Matt Swinney of Launch 787 and participating sponsors certainly proved that the third time’s the charm August 20-August 27 during the 3rd annual Austin Fashion Week.  Things got off to a fabulous start with “Style, Speed and Glory: the Austin Fashion Week Kick-off Event” at the Cowboy Harley Davidson Showroom.  The event was hosted by CW Austin Star, Mandy Dugan, and featured the work of AFW Mash-up Teams; a collaborative effort of make-up artists, hair stylists, photographers and models. 

Throughout the week The Driskill hotel along with area boutiques served as host to various showcases, brunches, and presentations.  The Driskill Presentations were as follows: Apparel & Accessories, Jewelry Showcase, Swim & Resort Wear, Edgy & Eclectic and Classic Couture.  Regional, national and international designers were invited to present their work for the first time in the week’s history.  The Apparel & Accessories showcase featured work from De Petra Art & Jewelry, Petrecia & Monique, Milli Starr and more, and the chance to meet the designers from the lines in attendance.  Freelance photographer Kelly Williams captured images from the Jewelry Showcase.  This presentation featured the designs of Tracy Tenpenny, Leighelena, Eye on the Sparrow, Manic Trout and more.  Diamonds, pearls, gold, silver, platinum, and brass enamel work were on display set against models in all black attire.

Wednesday consisted of the Swim and Resort Wear showcase and featured the designs of La Perla, Everything But Water, Tikini Hut, and James Tudor.  The Edgy & Eclectic showcase took place on Thursday night, and the menswear line League of Rebels displayed sharp suits in varying fabrics and smart shapes.  Brooklyn-based line Jamie McCarty gave designs reminiscent of girls on their way to a Simon & Garfunkel concert.  Netted maxi ponchos, airy blouses, and Native American inspired needlework were true standout features of the collection.  New York, Mexico, and London designers were on display during Friday night’s Classic Couture showcase.  Celestino Couture(New York), Estela Balan (Matamoros, Mexico), and Colunga (London) featured evening gowns in timeless shapes, floral and asymmetrical pieces, and dresses worthy of becoming your new go-to LBD. 

The week closed on Saturday night with the Austin Fashion Awards at ACL Live.  The comedic talents of nationally syndicated radio host Kim Iversen led the audience through award categories, runway shows, and musical performances.  Members of the Austin fashion community were honored with Golden Boot Awards related to People’s Choice and Industry Choice.  Throughout the night, four different runway shows were presented by Wren, Gail Chovan, designer and owner of SoCo boutique Blackmail; self titled label Linda Asaf, and Michelle Weisman’s 81 Poppies. 

Winners at the Austin Fashion Awards included the following:

People’s Choice
Best Designer: Demian and Alex
Best Retailer: Touch of Sass
Best Salon: Bella Salon
Best Model: Cassidy Burke
Best Mash Up Team: Bella Corazon
Best Photographer: Cory Ryan
Best Hair Stylist: Martha Lynn Kale
Best Makeup Artist: Mandy Hernandez

Industry Choice
Best Designer: Kendra Scott
Best Retailer: Estilo
Best Salon: Salon by Milk+Honey
Best Model: Brianna Fleet
Best Mash Up Team: Wild Horses
Best Photographer: Chad Harlan
Best Hair Stylist: Lisa Brooks
Best Makeup Artist: Rochelle Rae 

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.
Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.