Ashley Nelcy Garcia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Name: Ashley Nelcy Garcia
Major: Radio Television and Film and Latin American Studies
Year: Senior (4th year)

Ashley is from Roma, Texas, a small border town from the valley where there are many bright minds but not many resources to expand their knowledge. Knowing she wanted more, Ashley decided to come to UT Austin to see what the world had to offer and became a strong, involved, and confident student. After being at UT for four years, she has been able to participate in various events, including giving a speech at this year’s Gone to Texas where she motivated students to study hard and to never give up. She is a role model for many and a voice for the Hispanic community at UT.

HC Texas: What organizations are you in?
A: Hispanic Scholarship Fund – UT Chapter and UT- Ballet Folklorico.

HC Texas: Tell me about your study abroad experience.
A: I studied abroad in Santander, Spain in summer 2010—right when the country’s soccer team won the World Cup. When I was there I worked on an oral history project on the Franco years where I had the opportunity to interview people who lived under Spain’s dictatorship. During my study abroad session, I also had the opportunity to travel to Morocco and Italy, and visit the diverse regions of Spain. 

HC Texas: What do you like about being a Longhorn?
A: What I love about being a Longhorn is the school spirit and the people. One of my favorite things is to have a great time with my friends at a football game or campus event. I also love the diversity and the many cultural events offered throughout the year.

HC Texas: How do you feel about being part of the Hispanic community at UT?
A: I feel proud to be part of the Hispanic community at UT. As a Latina I feel it is important to be involved in the community and help students who may be struggling with transition from high school to college. I also feel it is important to promote our culture within the UT community and make ourselves visible on campus. 

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.