Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Texas Archives

Women + Driving + Saudi Arabia = Lashes

By Irma Garcia
October 6, 2011 - 12:01am

On Sept. 28, 2011, a Saudi woman, Shaima Jastaina, was spared from the ten lashes she was ordered to receive that day for simply driving a car. Saudi Arabia is still working to create amendments to their constitution in order to bestow basic rights, such as driving, to the women in the kingdom. According to King Abdullah’s decree from Sept. 26, the changes will allow women the right to vote as of 2015. They will also be able to be elected to the Shura council, an advisory council.

American women have unfortunately taken these basic rights and privileges for granted. We have not noticed that there are other women in this world that are not even allowed to drive, simply because of their sex.

...

Malcolm Brown: UT’s Most Humble Football Hero

By Kari Kimball
October 5, 2011 - 3:19am

“I’m no campus celebrity” was the first thing out of UT freshman Malcolm Brown’s mouth the first time I met him.  Despite his denial, Malcolm is currently ranked as the second-best college running back by ESPN, an achievement that came about by proving himself a key asset to the Longhorn team on the field– but he doesn’t let it go to his head. READ MORE

Leave Facebook Alone!

By Irma Garcia
October 5, 2011 - 3:13am

We have all seen how Facebook has gradually transformed from a simple profile layout to the current, very complex one. Once merely a website where we could simply stay connected with friends from the past, Facebook is now a place where someone can track your entire life unless you “unfriend” them. Within the social networking site lies a threatening lack of privacy. Yes, you can limit what you share on the Web, but you are still on a public domain regardless. READ MORE

Texas Fight: Tailgating Longhorn Style

By Felicia Fitzpatrick
October 5, 2011 - 3:11am

As Halloween approaches, the color orange is beginning to show up in restaurants and stores in the form of pumpkins and jack o’lanterns. But us Longhorns rep the color all year long! Whether it’s to class, to Gregory or to bed – we’re always showing our school pride. But there’s one special place where we all congregate in our burnt orange gear and game faces, filled with UT pride: Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. Chanting "Texas! Fight!" in the stands connects all Longhorn fans with their beloved school in a way unlike any other. READ MORE

Blackberry on Campus

By Bernice Chuang
October 2, 2011 - 9:11pm

WHO:                  BlackBerry® on Campus at UT Austin
WHAT:                BlackBerry Soiree: “House” Season Premiere Watch Party
WHEN:                Monday Oct. 4, 7:30pm-9:00pm
WHERE:              JuicyTart Yogurt on 24th

Smartphones are becoming an essential part of student life on campus and BlackBerry® is coming out to show its commitment to the college market.  As part of a nationwide awareness campaign that is creating buzz on campuses, BlackBerry is showing its growing popularity among college students. READ MORE

Willie Veenstra '16

By Wynne Davis
September 29, 2011 - 11:00pm

Name: Willie Veenstra Year: Freshman Major: Chemical Engineering Hometown: Houston, TX Activities: Longhorn Band What do you like about being in the Longhorn Band?
I like that I can escape from the rest of the world and, for two hours a day, hang out with the people I call my family and make music. What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?
Blue Bell Cookies and Cream READ MORE

Novice Rowing Team Announced

By Wynne Davis
September 28, 2011 - 1:48am

Tuesday at 11:12 p.m. Coach Caroline King sent out an email containing the final cuts of the 2011-12 NoviceWomen’s Rowing team. These girls have only been a team since Tuesday, but they’re already practicing hard for their goal of winning a third Big Twelve Championship for the squad.  Eight pairs of arms work synchronously to move one boat through the water as the coxswain calls the commands, “Hits, send, drive the boat, big legs, power ten!” “I was ecstatic, and stoked, and pumped, because I was going to be part of a team,” freshman Makenzie Harris said. READ MORE

To Be or Not to Be: Single? Or Dating?

By Jenny Che
September 28, 2011 - 1:39am

Many girls have the preconceived notion that they have to get married after college. They have their honeymoon, reception, and wedding all planed out! If they don’t have a boyfriend, they think that they are either not normal or not loved. Our society puts too much emphasis on love and dating. Everywhere you turn, the focus is always on love and relationships on TV, movies, advertisements, music, and magazines. It forces everyone to believe that everyone should be in a relationship. So should you fool yourself into thinking the same? Of course not! We are better than constantly needing someone else, and should treasure ourselves more. So what are the benefits of being in a relationship? READ MORE...

Michael Ian Black

By Alyssa Sanchez
September 28, 2011 - 1:31am

Imagine being able to tour the country, stand on stage under a spotlight, make people laugh, be sarcastic on television, and getting the chance to write and direct a movie. Did I mention that you get paid to do this? These days not all people that set out to be comedians make a living out of it. While many on this Earth believe they have the ability to be funny, it takes someone who was born with true talent to really make people laugh.  Last year the University of Texas welcomed comedian Bo Burnham and musical artist Common to the Student Activity Center, and this year we are lucky enough to have booked funny man Michael Ian Black.

READ MORE

Brandon Major '12

By Doyin Oyeniyi
September 28, 2011 - 1:29am

Name: Brandon Major Graduation Year: 2012 Major: Social Work Hometown: Baton Rouge, LA Currently listening to: Frank Ocean Favorite color: Blue Cats or dogs: Dogs Superman or Spiderman: Spiderman Football or baseball: Football Favorite football team: LSU and UT Favorite food when you were a kid: Fried okra READ MORE