This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Because I said I would…

Inspired by his father’s devotion to his promises, Alex Sheen created the international social movement and non-profit because I said I would. Presented by Texas Thon, guest speaker Sheen spoke to UT students about his organization on Veteran’s Day. Because I said I would promotes the importance of keeping promises by distributing promise cards.

In his speech, Sheen created a timeline of the rise of his organization and described some of his proudest moments. One of his proudest moments included surprising children with cancer with 100 tickets to Disneyland. In his speech to UT students because I said I would founder Alex Sheen also described the future of his organization. Sheen is currently working with Colonel Parker Shenecker, a man with an incredible story who has promised to live life fully for his children. While serving for the US Army in Qatar, Col. Shenecker’s wife shot and killed his two children. Col. Shenecker has joined because I said I would in honor of his children. Together, Alex Sheen and Colonel Shenecker have continued to stress the importance of a promise by creating and fulfilling their own promises.    

Since leaving his promising career in computer science to create because I said I would, Alex Sheen has spoken to over 44,000 students, been featured on various talk shows and has mailed over 3.5 million promise cards to more than 153 countries.