This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Name: Alan Freytag

Year: Junior

Major: Radio-Television-Film

Hometown: Austin, TX

Relationship Status: Single

Her Campus Texas: Being a local Austinite, what are some of your favorite things/places about Austin that maybe not everyone knows about? 

Alan Freytag: Like any other city Austin has a lot of well-known destinations and a lot of other places that you really wouldn’t know about unless you really explore. Personally I enjoy a lot of outdoor activities and Austin is full of such places. A few that I like that a lot of people don’t know about, except for mostly locals, are Decker Lake in northeast Austin and Reimers Ranch Park out west. Decker is a great place to spend the day fishing with some friends outside of the crowds that Town Lake and Travis bring. The greenbelt is close to downtown but if you drive another 15 minutes Reimers has probably the most beautiful trails around and is right down the road from Hamilton pool which is the coolest place to swim anywhere in Austin. It’s in a Cave!

HCTX: What do you want to be when you grow up?

AF: I intend to be a maverick Austin filmmaker. If I can stay in Austin and make movies then I’ll call life a success.

HCTX: What is the perfect movie to watch on a first date? 

AF: Without a doubt The Lion King has to be the best movie to watch on a first date. I don’t even like to watch movies on first dates but if The Lion King was going to be playing at the theater I would definitely take it into consideration as the way to spend the evening.

HCTX: If you could date a fictional character who would it be?

AF: I had to think about this one a bit but I kind of like Dr. Ellie Sattler from Jurassic Park. Weird I know, but I like mountain climbing and I bet she would totally like to go mountain climbing with me.

HCTX: What do you do for fun or to relax? 

AF: Woof, all kinds of things. I really enjoy doing photography around town, especially at music events. I like hanging out with friends at Crown and Anchor or downtown on the weekends. To relax I like riding my bike around Walnut Creek or down at the greenbelt.

HCTX: What song do you listen to when you want to have a good day? 

AF: I have a pretty typical taste in music I think but songs come and go pretty fast. Strange as it is, I think if there’s one artist who consistently makes me feel good when I hear his songs it would have to be Ray Price. It’s a nostalgia thing. Ray Price was always playing in the background somewhere when I was a kid hanging out with the family and now it just carries a lot of those feelings.

The best remedy for a rough week of midterms is chocolate, a good movie, and a sweet guy to take your mind off things and hanging out with Alan is a pretty package of all those things. Okay, I can’t guarantee the chocolate but, knowing Alan, he would never disappoint.

I am Corisa but a lot of my friends call me Cori! I feel like the real life Hannah Horvath from Girls.