jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Topical Costumes for Halloween 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

There’s no excuse for you to be wearing a boring, overdone costume after the exciting year we’ve had, so throw down your angel wings and wipe off your cat whiskers!  Before you resign yourself to being one of nearly a dozen sexy nurses this Halloween, take a look at some of these fun, topical costume options. 

1.  Willow Pape from Kim K: HollywoodWhat you’ll need: white tank, pink skirt, pink heels, bronze bracelet, and a blonde wig

Now admittedly, the Kim K: Hollywood game is on its way out of the public sphere.  However, it would be downright disrespectful to ignore the blood, sweat, and tears that we all put towards getting our character to the #1 spot on the A-List.  In the game, Willow Pape was your character’s nemesis and always seemed to show up at the most inconvenient times.  While she may have been irritating to deal with, Willow spent the majority of the game sabotaging herself in one way or another.  For that, Ms. Pape, we thank you.

(If you really want to go all out, someone even made a Willow Pape makeup tutorial!) 

2.  String Bass (“All About That Bass”)What you’ll need: pastel accessories, brown shirt and pants, black yarn, and a little bit of sewing 

This year, twenty-year-old Meghan Trainor took the world by storm with her debut single “All About That Bass.”  Exploring positive body image, Trainor’s song has a catchy beat and some great lyrics that have kept the tune popular for months after its release (the music video is pretty adorable too!)  Show off your creativity and your love for “that bass” with a clever string bass costume paired with a pastel headband.  If you really want to make sure everyone gets the joke, feel free to write out some of the song lyrics somewhere on your costume. 

3.  iPhone 6What you’ll need: large cardboard box, different colored butcher paper, plenty of markers, and maybe an iPhone 6 for reference

This year marked the arrival of the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, which broke records with over 10 million units sold in its opening weekend.  In Manhattan, just under 2,000 people were lined up on Fifth Avenue on the day of the launch.  Treat yourself like the hot item you are and go as the most popular phone on the market!  Pay special attention to the iPhone 6’s sleek new design, and make sure you add some cool apps that represent your personality. 

4.  “The Snappening” (Snapchat Hacker)What you’ll need: black jumpsuit and as many pictures of your friends as you can afford to have printed 

“The Snappening,” a phrase coined by social media strategist Kenny Withers, occurred earlier this month when roughly 90,000 Snapchat photos and 9,000 videos were posted on the website viralpop.com.  Though the media files were quickly removed, these stolen Snaps were downloaded and widely spread throughout the internet.  Confuse your friends at a Halloween party by wearing all black and handing them printed pictures of themselves at random intervals throughout the evening.  If you really want to go all out, print out a picture of the Snapchat ghost and attach it to your costume. 

5.  Dancing Diva KidWhat you’ll need: black button up shirt, white pants, and plenty of sass

If you haven’t seen THIS video of the boy showing off his best dance moves in the background of a news broadcast, you are seriously missing out! 

The Dancing Diva Kid has quickly ‘werked’ his way into all of our hearts; even Lady Gaga is raving about his show-stealing performance:

It won’t be easy to replicate his attitude, but do your best to awaken your inner diva and spend the evening showing off for the cameras.  Even if you’re standing in the background, you’ll definitely be the center of attention. 

Any of these topical costumes are guaranteed to steal the show at whatever parties you attend this Halloween.  And why stop with this list?  Think back to some of your favorite moments in news or pop culture this year and show off your creativity with something unique and totally original.  Most importantly, have fun, be safe, and have a happy Halloween!

I am Corisa but a lot of my friends call me Cori! I feel like the real life Hannah Horvath from Girls.