5 Services at UT that You Might Not Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

5 Services UT Offers You Might Not Know About     1.       Sure Walk Sure Walk is a student government agency in collaboration with Parking and Transportation Services that offers companionship on your walk home from campus. This service is to give students the option to not walk home away and ensure safety for UT students. Two sure walkers will accompany you on your walk home or provide a ride home in a cart/car (dependent upon location). Sure walk also offers drop-offs anywhere on campus and in West campus. However sure walk only picks up on campus.

Sure Walk Hours: Monday- Sunday 7pm- 2am

Request a sure walk: 

Call: 512-232-9255 

Email: orderasurewalk@gmail.com 

Located in Jester West (1​st​ floor) 2.      

2. Student Ombudsman Ombuds are available to listen to concerns about life at the university, interpersonal issues, university policies, university bureaucracy, and conflict resolution techniques. When you talk to the ombuds is confidential. This means that you can talk about your concerns without worrying about what you’re saying leaving the office. The ombuds can offer solutions and guide you on how to address, and hopefully resolve your concerns. Ombuds are neutral parties and will not take sides. To make an appointment: 
Call: 512-471-3825     

3.  CMHC Groups The Counseling and Mental Health Center offer group sessions for students facing troubles common to college students. Some of the groups offered surround depression, managing stress, LGBTQA+, and anxiety management. The CMHC also have groups focused on different racial groups. Groups consist of 5-10 students and a facilitator. Groups start at the beginning of the semester and last anywhere from 8-10 weeks. This service is, of course, totally free.  To learn about the groups the CMHC offer:            
Call: 512-471-3515
4. Legal Service for Students: Need legal advice but don’t know where to go? Well the legal service for students is a resource you should consider using. They offer free consultation on some of the issues that a student could run into to. For example, they give consultation on criminal charges, landlord and renting issues, and traffic tickets. Consultations are available by appointment only.  To make an appointment:             
Call: 512-471-7796
5.  Services for Students with Disabilities  SSD is a service for students who are living with disabilities of various kinds. They provide accommodations that are tailored to each individual student. Disabilities under SSD are not only limited to physical disabilities. SSD covers psychological, temporary, and other areas. Some of the accommodations you can receive is extra time on a test, getting notes for a course, getting a sign language interpreter, etc. SSD takes each individual and gives them accommodations for the relevant disabilities.  To learn more about SSD:          
Call: 512-471-6259          
Videophone: 512-410-6644          
I am a junior at the University of Texas at Austin studying psychology and sociology. I hope to further the knowledge of behavioral and emotional disorders through research. I started writing for Her Campus because I wanted a platform to discuss issues that are important to me. I want to start a dialogue about the issues society is still too uncomfortable to openly talk about.