timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Halloween is for Everyone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays and to be honest it only gets better as you get older. You may not be able to go trick or treating anymore without getting side eyed, but there is so much more you can do. No matter what you’re interested in, there most likely is something Halloween/fall related you can get into that will make you discover your love for this holiday if you don’t already love it.

1. Your college years will most likely be the time you have the most fun during Halloween. You’re in your prime, surrounded by great friends and you’re on a college campus. It’s almost impossible to ignore all the events going on campus. No matter how you choose to celebrate it, you’re guaranteed a good time if you’re open to it.

2. Halloween is your time to shine! Costume ideas are endless. Show people how amazing your diy skills are or how you strategically figured out how to look exactly like Sza in her Love Galore video. Let’s be real, having one night to be pretend to be your favorite character or celebrity is secretly everyone’s dream, so why not take advantage.

3. Free candy has no age limit. I’m not saying try to blend in with trick or treaters to get free candy because that wouldn’t be a good look, but there are other ways you can get a month’s worth of snickers. Different offices on campus, club meetings or just any events going on campus will most likely be throwing candy your way. Don’t feel guilty for indulging either, you deserve it. Your parents are no longer giving you a limit on how many chocolate bars you’re allowed to eat so go all out.

4. Without a doubt, there are going to be endless Halloween parties all week on campus. You made it through midterms, so you deserve to go to 1 or 2 Halloween parties to have some fun. Halloween this year is on a Tuesday so being mindful of your classes and assignments is a good idea. You’re probably better off going out that weekend before and then staying low key on the actual day.

5. If dressing up and going to costumes parties isn’t your thing, don’t worry there are other things you can do. You can always binge watch Halloween movies with your friends or if you want a change of scenery try an outdoor movie screening. Also try going to haunted house if you want to really feel like you’re in a movie.

To me, Halloween is all about having a good time and there is no age limit on enjoying yourself. So enjoy the holiday because it’s the only time of year when it’s okay to pretend to be someone else and it’s ok to supplement candy as a meal.

Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus