What is “Cuffing Season?”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Well, it’s that time of the year again, known to most as “cuffing season.”  Yes, it’s the time of year where  two people become involved with each other, more so than any other season. Only in the dead of the winter does this magical spark connect two people who supposedly really like each other.

However, not too many people are fully aware of what cuffing season actually is. It’s just one of those things that people do because many other people do it. According to Urban Dictionary, cuffing season is defined as: “During the Fall and Winter months people who would normally rather be single or promiscuous find themselves along with the rest of the world desiring to be “cuffed” or tied down by a serious relationship. The cold weather and prolonged indoor activity causes singles to become lonely and desperate to be cuffed. “

Upon hearing this explanation, many of us wonder if cuffing season is as popular as it sounds on the Internet. To figure this out, we asked a few students to express their opinions regarding this social status. Some of the questions include: Do they consider this cuffing season? What do they think about cuffing season? And if they think many people will decide to settle down now?

“I think cuffing season is a thing curated by ratchet people who created the term “Netflix and Chill”, says freshman, Julie Yeroushalmie. Not only is she not big on the idea of cuffing season, but she doesn’t understand why the concept itself even exists. She isn’t alone though with this opinion.

“I think people find it as an excuse to have a friends with benefits during the school year so they don’t have to put in work to find a sex partner. I do think more people settle during this time of the year,” said freshman, Laura Musser.

Some other people had mixed opinions regarding cuffing season.

“I could see this being cuffing season. It’s cold and the weather makes people a little down, so they feel like they need someone. As far as what I think about settling down, I personally am not ready for it but I definitely think it’s an important part of life and that almost everyone should experience it,” says graduate, Erik Hubbard.  

“Cuffing season is pretty wack compared to the spring and summer but it’s a nice time to Netflix and chill and hang out inside,” says graduate, Ugo Adigwe.

What was interesting to discover was how the girls typically had negative things to say while the males were half and half over this idea. It was also interesting to notice how the males agreed that around this time of year is typically when “cuffing season” occurs but they didn’t provide much of an explanation to why. This brings up the question on why exactly this time of the year primarily do  people settle down?

Does winter really have a factor on a person’s need to be with someone? Or is it really just a silly trend that started on the internet and become a popular topic to debate?  It seems like the jury is still out on this one.

I'm a senior at Temple University. I've worked with Her Campus for over two years and have been a staff writer, campus life and news editor, and opinion editor. When I'm not working on my writing, I'm usually out exploring Phildelphia. I also enjoy drawing, taking pictures of interesting scenery, and listening to music. Follow me on Instagram @raayyychell and Twitter @rachelameliaaa.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.