Valentine’s Day Gifts for Him: What do I get him?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Valentine’s Day may possibly be the most stressful holiday of the year. Sure, there’s the hectic shopping that comes with Christmas, the crazy families that go along with Thanksgiving and the ever-so-daunting task of picking out a New Year’s dress, but Valentine’s Day still wins the prize.

And it’s not the single girls who feel the most stress. In fact, being single would be a relief on the most romantic holiday of the year. You gals get to indulge in boxes of chocolate, trash-talk ex boyfriends with your friends and watch horribly corny movies all night. But those of us who are in relationships are haunted by one question: what in the world am I supposed to get him for Valentine’s Day?

Well, I’m here to help with a few ideas that might work. It all depends on where you are in your relationship.

For those ladies who are embarking on a Valentine’s Day first date, it might be easier than you think. I know, you’re thinking is it even appropriate to get him something? Will he get you something? But stop worrying so much. A simple Valentine’s Day card can show him that you care without going overboard. Or you could even surprise him with chocolate. Trust me; some boys have a bigger sweet tooth than us.

So what if you’re in a relationship, but it’s your first Valentine’s Day with your sweetie? Here is when it gets pretty tough. You need to prove something at this point – that you know your significant other’s interests well enough to pick out a superb present. Just start brainstorming. Have they been gushing over a new video game? Going on and on about a band that’s touring in the area? Or even complaining that they need new clothes? This is where you’re listening skills come into play.

My boyfriend and I have been together for about eight months now. After splurging on him for Christmas, I was fresh out of ideas. But then I remembered him admiring a watch at the store he works at. By now, he probably forgot about it, which gives me the perfect opportunity to surprise him while simultaneously proving to him that I pay attention.

But if you have been with your partner for much longer, maybe two years or more, you need to really wow him. Make it special this year by giving him something with meaning. You may not think it, but guys can be just as mushy as us. The sentimental presents I’ve given to past boyfriends have been their favorites. Write a letter, a story of how you met, or work on a scrap book with old concert tickets and pictures. Say I love you in your own way and avoid the Hallmark cards.

Still stressed? You shouldn’t be. If you’re guy is really into you, the present won’t be such a big component. Plus, I like to think this is still our holiday ladies. Enjoy being romanced and stop worrying so much about how much to spend and where to spend it. Take a big whiff of that bouquet he bought you and make it your best Valentine’s Day yet.

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!