The Ultimate Movie Guide for Summer 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

While we still have a few weeks left of school, the recent warm weather in Philly has us very excited for summer. Summer means no school work, time with family and friends, trips to the beach, and summer blockbusters. To make your life a little easier, we’ve rounded up the best movies coming out this summer all right here! Now all you have to do is buy the snacks.

In order of release date:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 – May 5th

Chris Pratt stars in the sequel to the 2015 hit Guardians of the Galaxy. Even if Marvel, action, or Chris Pratt isn’t really your thing, go see Guardians for the soundtrack, composed of all ‘80s music. Sidenote – if Chris Pratt “isn’t your thing” maybe also consider seeking help.

Alien Covenant – May 19th

This sci-fi thriller stars Michael Fassbender and his crew fighting for their lives. One of the ads for the movie has turned the inside of a few SEPTA cars black, which is cool but definitely not the only reason I included this movie. Michael Fassbender is also pretty cool.

Everything, Everything – May 19th

The amazing and beautiful Amandla Stenberg stars in this movie about a girl who can’t leave her home because of an illness, but risks it all for love. A cute, sad romance movie with a unique twist.

Baywatch – May 25th

Zac Efron and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson star in this remake of the iconic TV series of the same name. (The only reason this movie is included is because of ripped, shirtless Zac Efron.) #noragrets #iaintsorry

Wonder Woman – June 2nd

The upcoming movie follows Wonder Woman before she was Wonder Woman, when she was princess of the amazons, an unconquerable warrior who helps end “the war of all wars”. A movie all about the original, empowering female badass? Yes please.

The Book of Henry – June 16th

The Book of Henry follows an unbelievably gifted young boy trying to save the girl next door, who just happens to be played by Dance Moms’ Maddie Ziegler.

Baby Driver – June 28th

Baby Driver stars the gorgeous and talented Ansel Elgort as a young driver who, after falling in love with his dream girl, tries to leave his shady lifestyle behind. Love, action, and Kevin Spacey, what more could you ask for in a film?

Spider-Man: Homecoming – July 7th

The newest Spider-Man series follows Peter Parker trying to navigate his new life as Spider-Man with a little help from Tony Stark (aka Iron Man). While he’s no Andrew Garfield, Tom Holland is quite a cutie.

Dunkirk – July 21st

Christopher Nolan’s newest film centers around the World War II mission that rescued over 330,000 allied troops from the beaches of Dunkirk, France. Christopher Nolan is incredible (Interstellar or Inception, anyone??) and Harry Styles makes his big screen debut, so there’s a lot to love about Dunkirk.

Atomic Blonde – July 28th

Atomic Blonde stars the magnificent Charlize Theron playing a sensual, savage spy sent on a nearly impossible mission to Berlin to retrieve a priceless dossier from the unstable city.

No matter what your preferred genre, there’s a movie up your alley coming this summer.

Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.