The Truth about Juice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

We all know we’re supposed to eat healthy, but we never think about drinking healthy. Let’s face it ladies, drinking healthy in college can be a near impossible task, especially when the dining halls serve nothing but sodas and sugary juices to drink.  Unfortunately, it looks as if you are going to have to leave the SAC and head to the Fresh Grocer to get anything decent to drink, but once you do, plenty of delicious and nutritious options will be there awaiting you.  The number one thing to remember when perusing the juice aisle in the grocery store is that not all juices are created equal!  In fact, most juices that you’ll see in the store today are juice cocktails, which mean that they are high in sugar and calories and low in nutritious value.  Just because a bottle has a picture of fruit on the front does not mean that it is good for your body!

Below is a list of four of the most nutritious juices available at the Fresh Grocer.  If you replace just one of your daily glasses of sodas with a glass of one of these juices, you will be one step closer to achieving the impossible, staying healthy in college!

Naked Juice (Red Machine Flavor)
Positives
*Contains 13 raspberries, 11 strawberries, 3 cranberries, 1 1/2 cranberries, 1 1/2 apples, 1/4 pomegranate, 1/3 orange, 1/2 banana, and 7 red grapes
*Contains 4384 mg of Omega-3s which can help slow cancer cell growth
*Earth friendly-Every bottle is made from recycled plastic
Negatives
*Only contains 15% DV of Vitamin C

• High in calories- 170 calories per serving, 240 calories per bottle
  • Expensive- $3.99 for a 15 oz bottle

Odwalla (Red Rhapsody Flavor) 160 calories per 11 oz bottle
Positives
*Contains 7 strawberries, 1/4 banana, 1/6 plum, and the juice of 1 2/3 apples

• 70% DV of Vitamin A
  • 70% DV of Vitamin E
  • Earth friendly- Every bottle is made from 100% plant based material
  • Contains no grams of fat

Negatives

• Only contains 30% DV of Vitamin C
  • Expensive- $3.29
  • 31 grams of sugar

Tropicana (Trop 50 reduced calorie orange juice plus calcium) 50 calories per 8 oz
Positives

• 50% less sugars and calories than regular orange juice also only 50calroies per serving
  • No grams of fat
  • Contains in potassium- 450 mg, 13% DV
  • High in Vitamin C- 120% DV (supports a healthy immune system)
  • Contains in Calcium- 35% DV (supports bone health)
  • Contains Vitamin D- 25% DV (supports bone health)
  • Only 10 grams of sugar

Negatives
*Has often been referred to as watered-down orange juice

V8 Splash (Tropical Blend)  70 calories per 8 oz.
Positives

• Contains 0 grams of fat
  • Contains 100% DV Vitamin C
  • Contains 50% DV Vitamin A (helps to maintain healthy vision)

Negatives
*Has a distinct flavor – tastes like vegetable juice

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!