The Scary Effects of Adderall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.
Adderall, a stimulant drug for people diagnosed with Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, has become one of the most widely abused drugs for college students cramming for exams. While the drug may seem innocent to some, just a common study aid, it can pose serious risks for those who do not legitimately need it. 

In a 2008 study, researchers at The University of Kentucky found that an estimated 34% of college students illegally used ADHD stimulants like Ritalin or Adderall.

“For normal, healthy people who do not have diagnosed attention deficit problems, Adderall can cause emotional and physical strains by making them hyperactive, paranoid and delusional while putting them at risk for heart attacks or strokes,” an article by Andrew Conte of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review states. However, many college students feel the results are worth the risk. 

Even prescribed users of Adderall face the risk of minor to severe side effects. Web MD lists symptoms of nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and headaches as common side effects. The difference is that for prescribed users, the drug is usually necessary enough to risk the chance of side effects with a doctor’s monitoring. 

Monitoring by a doctor is especially important with Adderall, as it can have dangerous drug interactions. Adderall affects serotonin levels and is especially dangerous when combined with other serotonin altering drugs. With college students’ relying more and more on antidepressants, this is a significant concern. WebMD calls Adderall’s interaction with Prozac, a common antidepressant that is also often used to treats disorders from PMS to bulimia, significant. Reactions can be as severe as heart attacks or seizures.                   

Elizabeth, a sophomore at Temple who asked that her name be changed for this interview, has used Adderall five times. She took it for the first time this year, when her workload became almost unmanageable. “I feel like I need it when I’ve procrastinated or have a lot due at one time,” she says, “I wouldn’t use it unless it was finals week or I had an important paper.” She says it makes schoolwork so much easier because “you do it with so much enjoyment and you’re so much happier.”

As for any negative side-effects, Elizabeth says she has experienced none other than normal fatigue. “I remember staying up all night and being happy and waking up and being happy and the rest of the day going downhill because I just felt so tired and like weak.” 

Other students have had different experiences. Jennifer, a sophomore at Temple who also asked that her real name not be used, uses Adderall to stay awake all night two times a week “at max.” As for her reaction to it, she says, “I’ve felt depressed, but I wouldn’t call it depression. It’s more like a huge weight on you and just a wave of exhaustion . . . your body just wants to lay down and your brain just won’t let it.” However, she says she can see how it could lead to someone experiencing feelings of depression after taking it.

Jordan is health and fitness writer for Her Campus and a sophomore at Temple University studying journalism and French. She enjoys reading, writing, photographing, and traveling when she gets the chance. She also has a linkedin, because she hopes to be employed someday: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jordan-gunselman/88/205/44a
Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.