Saturday Night Live: Episode 3 Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

This Saturday’s episode with host Bill Hader was a major improvement from last week, but it seems like “SNL” is relying on strong hosts and musical guests to support the disconnect between its writers and its largely new cast. As a returning cast member, Hader came back to writers that knew him and his style and could create some really excellent sketches that he made work. He wasn’t the only former cast member on the show last night. Kristin Wiig also appeared in the monologue and a couple sketches. Musical guest, Hozier, solidified the success of this week’s episode. He has been rising to face with the hit “Take Me to Church,” having also performed it on The Ellen Show.

New cast member Pete Davidson, who did not appear at all in last week’s episode made a major comeback this week. He was in almost every sketch, starred in a parody movie trailer, and again had his own monologue on Weekend Update. The audience is learning to expect something when his face pops up. It seems that he may be one of the strongest cast members this season, despite being one of the newest and youngest.

But maybe this new generation of cast members just doesn’t jive with the last one. There was a noticeable disconnect between Bill Hader, Kristin Wiig and the current cast. Davidson and Hader didn’t have much onscreen chemistry in the Herb Welsh sketch. Wiig appeared in a sketch “Hollywood Game Night,” where she was second in the spotlight next to Kate McKinnon, who has become one of the most prominent members of the new cast. Wiig once again did her Kathy Lee Gifford impression. This however, was not one of her most laugh-out-loud bits when she was a cast member, and it wasn’t any better when she returned as an alumna. Newer members, like Cecily Strong as a hilariously inarticulate Sofia Vergara, outshone her.

Because Bill Hader hosted, there was a noticeable emphasis on characters this week, which were his strong suits while on the show. The most applauded return was Hader’s Stefon. The character was strong and the bit worked well despite missing its other half, Seth Meyers. Michael Che carried out the bit as well as he could without having the history and connection Hader and Meyers had.

The sketches that really stood out this week were a puppet sketch, in which Hader’s character, a Vietnam War veteran, expresses his experiences through a “Sesame Street” like puppet in a comedy class. Hader could barely control his giggles during Stefon’s monologue and throwback sketches reminiscent of the last full cast, like the Herb Welsh sketch and the impressions-filled Hollywood Game Night.

Next week’s episode will be a rerun of Chris Pratt and Ariana Grande. The following week Jim Carrey will host with musical guest Iggy Azalea on October 25. If you missed this week’s episode, you can watch it on Hulu or on the NBC website.

Jordan is health and fitness writer for Her Campus and a sophomore at Temple University studying journalism and French. She enjoys reading, writing, photographing, and traveling when she gets the chance. She also has a linkedin, because she hopes to be employed someday: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jordan-gunselman/88/205/44a
Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.