Red Band Society Episode 7: Know Thyself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

“Here at Ocean Park, while we’re busy getting to know ourself, we count on Nurse Jackson to know everything else.” The show starts with the hospital seemingly falling apart without Jackson around and the inhabitants of it are trying to do whatever they can to get her back.

Outside of the hospital, we see that Jackson is having a nice time with her niece, Sandra, who just returned home from college.  As she cooks to keep herself busy, Sandra gives her a thought; maybe this happened for a reason.

Meanwhile, the teens meet up to try to get Jackson to return to the hospital and Hunter, Kara’s counterpart, joins in on the group, much to Leo’s dismay.

Leo wants to introduce Emma to his friend but she seems a bit reluctant to meet them and when she finds out they will be having lunch, the situation takes another turn. Even though they seem to be getting along, it gets a bit awkward when she has to tell them she’s anorexic and his friend’s insensitivity makes it worse.

Nurse Jackson reflects on her days as a backup singer as she pulls out an old outfit and rejects a call from Nurse Brittany, but she and Kenji stop by her house anyway, ultimately pushing her to step back onto the stage.

“I decided I no longer want to have sex with you,” Kara declared as she bonds with Hunter and he finally tells her his story; he didn’t have his surgery for a new liver because the liver they received had a black spot on it and his hopes were shattered.

Dash tries to talk Jordi into getting back into the Red Band Society, but Jordi is officially done, “I shouldn’t have put it on in the first place.” After Jordi and Emma return from their lunch, Emma confronts Leo over his lack of defending her. He only wants to leave the hospital with her, but she’s not sure if she wants the same thing.

Hunter takes the teens to see a surgery to “introduce them to reality”, but they get busted and are forced to escape. With Dash visibly getting sick, the running makes things worse for him.  As Dash reprimands Dr.McAndrew for suspending Jackson, he collapses.

Nurse Jackson gets back on the stage and is instantly in her element. She flashes back to the day her sister died and she didn’t get to say goodbye due to being in rehearsal all day. Even though she considers going back to singing, Kenji helps her realize why being a nurse was her calling.

As the night nears its ends, Emma bumps into Leo’s friend who apologizes for her rudeness, but continues to be rude as she tells Emma that she will lose Leo if she doesn’t get better.

Kara finally realizes that Hunter isn’t all he turns out to be,  “I know you said we die alone but that doesn’t mean we have to live alone.” His need to bring everyone down with him has finally taken its toll.

Jordi and Leo are forced to talk as they decide to take shifts to stay with Dash and Emma finds herself in Leo’s room, taking a bite of her favorite childhood treat.

Jackson returns to the hospital for Dash and has a chance to talk to Dr. McAndrew. They come to an understanding and McAndrew tells her that her suspension has been lifted.

The teens put up letters that the inhabitants of the hospital wrote for Jackson; they need her, and though she doesn’t act like it she needs them.

The show ends with Nurse Jackson going into Charlie’s room and seeing him with his eyes open, “Charlie’s awake!”

Carine Lavache is a junior journalism major at Temple University. She loves to write and hopes her passion for magazine journalism brings her back to her hometown,New York, or Los Angeles. Fun fact? She has a twin sister! Carine can be reached at carine.lavache@temple.edu and carinelavache.weebly.com.
Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.