Jessica Gray: The Jess of All Trades

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Jessica Gray has been a member of the Temple University community for a number of years. No, she’s not a super-senior. If you’ve ever been to any Temple Men’s Basketball games within the last two years and wondered who the only woman was sitting on the bench beside the players is, you’ve seen her!

For the past seven years, Jessica has been working hard, making connections, serving as a mentor and preparing for the offer she was presented with this August. Just a few weeks ago, the Temple graduate student was announced as the Compliance and Student-Athlete Affairs Coordinator at Temple University. In her position, Gray will be primary contact for all of the department’s recruiting activities, serve as residential life liaison while providing support and guidance to the student-athletes at Temple.

How did you feel about being offered a full-time position at your alma mater?I’m not sure if there is any word to describe how I felt. Having been at Temple since my undergraduate days I feel like I’m [at] home here and I’ve had some level of bias for wanting to work at this institution. For me, it was always a matter of because I started here, I found out what I wanted to do here, so why not try to start my career here? I feel honored. It seems like my experience is coming full circle having started here as a student and now serving as a part of athletic administration.

What was your initial reaction when you were told you got the job?I was quiet for a little while; I wanted to let my new boss finish her statement. I was very happy and very shocked. I said “okay, thanks!’ and hung up the phone. I then called my mom and started crying. It hit me after I told my mom because she’s overly dramatic and started screaming at work.

What do you like the most about your new position as Compliance and Student-Athlete Affairs Coordinator?The student-athlete affairs portion ties into my interest in event planning. I look forward to providing student athletes with resources and programs to help them become better rounded individuals. I’m also excited about the opportunity to work with different sport programs and coaches. In addition, I am eager to grow as a Compliance Officer and take advantage of the many resources that Temple University has to offer.

To what do you attribute your success?Staying the course. I identified what I was interested in prior to coming to college. I had a plan. I knew that l loved sports and I knew that I was interested in the journalism. I studied the journalism aspect and I worked in sports starting as a freshman. I knew what I wanted to do – I didn’t get to college and have to take that time to figure it out. I did the grunt work for a while, unpaid work and some paid work. It is important to identify what you love to do and to stay true to that. You can get a job and get paid really well, but if it’s not something that you want to do every day, you’re not happy. The dollars don’t always supersede the joy something can give you.

What advice can you give to undergraduate students who are currently on a similar path?I would say that you should never give up on something. If you feel that it’s your passion, you should always try to make it work. Figure out what makes you happy. Don’t necessarily focus on your first job, but think about where you want to be in 10 years and then back track to figure out what steps you need to take in order to get to that point. Definitely take the time out during college, since you do have four-plus years to explore and try everything out. It is better to try things out while you’re not getting paid and while you don’t have full responsibility with a full-time job and people expect you do something you can’t perform.

Describe your go-to work outfit.Well for the last seven years of my life I’ve worked with Temple Men’s Basketball, so my go-to outfit was probably a pair of sneakers, a basketball t-shirt and leggings. I’m about comfort first, but also cute. I am pretty low-maintenance for a high-maintenance person if that makes any sense. I usually go for some cute flats, some comfortable slacks and nice shirt-cardigan combo.

Are you Temple Made?Temple Made through and through. Hopefully I don’t end up getting my PhD here because I feel like I’ve reached my limit on degrees. Self-Made, Philly Made, Temple Made and I am Temple proud. 

Jessica Gray, 25, is a Temple University alumna and is currently completing a Master’s of Science in Sport Business with a concentration in Athletics Administration.  She initially graduated from Temple in 2011 with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in Theater. During her undergraduate years she served as president of Singchronize (a Capella group), a student leader for Service Immersion: Jamaica and a student manager for the men’s basketball team. Upon beginning graduate school, she continued her work with the Temple Men’s Basketball program as a graduate assistant for two years. Aside from sports, Jessica’s interests include event planning and giving back to the community. She is currently a member of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southeastern Pennsylvania. Her next endeavor will be launching a small full service event planning firm, Events by JG. You thought that was all? Nope. Jessica also has a blog entitled “Love & Basketball: A Courtside View from a 20-Something” that incorporates just about everything from relationships to life lessons to every day funnies. I sure want to be her when I grow up!

Congratulations and good luck in your new position Jessica.

Kelsey Boyd is currently a student at Temple University. She is originally from Teaneck, New Jersey. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Political Science. Amidst her studies, she serves as the secretary for the Temple University Black Public Relations Society, a student manager for Temple's Men's Basketball Team, and a member of the Uzuri Dance Team.
Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.