yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

How to Stay Safe While Party Hopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It’s that time of the year again – the bunny ears and cat tails resurface, Hocus Pocus is on every television channel, and eating excessive amounts of fun-sized candy bars is finally acceptable again. Yep, the mid-fall holiday is finally here – it’s Halloween.

When we were younger, Halloween was a night full of mini Reese’s cups and fake vampire teeth. In college, Halloween embodies something a bit different. The costumes change, candy becomes scarce, and trick-or-treating turns into party hopping.

It’s no secret that partying is a huge part of Halloween on campus. Because, honestly, the only thing better than just partying is partying while dressed up as something or someone else. During Halloween weekend, or “Halloweekend,” there’s sure to be numerous different parties to go to. Chances are, you’re going to want to make an appearance at more than just one.

Party hopping is fairly common, however, it’s important to stay safe and responsible while doing so. Here are some tips to make sure your Halloweekend is just as safe as it is scary.

1. Plan out where you’re going ahead of time.

If possible, it’s always best to know your plans for the night before. Knowing the addresses of the parties you’re going to will be advantageous in the long run, and you won’t have to search for the parties while wandering the streets in your cat ears.

2. Stay with a group.

Walking to and from parties at night should always be done with at least one other person, if not more. When going out with friends this Halloween weekend, set a plan for when you’re group will leave each party. It’s never a good idea to leave alone — and by making a plan, you avoid having to wait or your friends to finally be ready to dip.

3. Make sure your phone is charged.

Parties can get crowded, to say the least. After making your way through a crowd of masks and animal tails, you may realize that you can’t find anyone you came to the party with. Luckily, you can give them a quick call and find them relatively easily. However, if your phone is dead, this is not solved as easily. A dead phone adds stress to a night that should be about letting loose. Chances are, you’re not gonna fit a charger in your ballerina tutu and knee-high socks, so make sure to charge up.

4. Just be responsible.

Yes, it’s Halloween, and it’s all about having fun while in borderline-ridiculous outfits. But regardless of what animal you’re dressed up as for the night, it’s important to stay safe, aware, and responsible at all times. Halloween is supposed to be fun — but with poor decisions, it could quickly take a turn for the worst.

Honestly, it’s perfectly fine to spend the weekend in fuzzy socks, watching all four “Halloweentown” movies, and consuming far too much candy. But, if you do decide to do some party hopping this holiday season, remember that your first priority is safety. (However, I’ll admit that creating the cutest DIY costume is a close second) These tips apply to party hopping year round, have a fun and safe Halloweekend!

When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator. 
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus