How to Avoid the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It’s hard to be an incoming freshman, not knowing what to expect, and hearing about one of the biggest fears students have before college – the “Freshman 15.” The “Freshman 15” is a term used to describe roughly the fifteen pounds that most incoming, freshman students get during their first year of college. Of course, 15 pounds is not a guarantee; it could be more and it definitely could be less. Essentially, it is going to be hard to not gain weight in your first year of college because you are thrown into a whole new lifestyle that most freshman are not familiar to. There are many unknown reasons that cause this “Freshman 15.” Approximately 70% of students gain weight in college and here are some reasons why.

New eating habits

One of the biggest causes of the “Freshman 15” are the new eating habits that freshman are thrown into. When entering college, the average student’s diet changes dramatically. Without even knowing, a freshman goes from eating substantial, homemade dinners to fending for themselves, having to eat the food that is provided on campus. At first, the chicken fingers and fries seem like a dream come true; it’s like eating out every day but after awhile there are noticeable outcomes. Many think, “lets venture off of campus and get food!” But some students are on a limited budget and cannot afford to venture out and pay for healthy substantial meals, resulting in buying fast food or sticking to their meal plan on campus.

Snacking

As a college student, you snack… a lot. In between classes, when you’re bored, before bed, while studying snacking seems to be the most popular way to keep a student occupied. Many students are too busy to make time for meals, therefore they result in snacking on high-fat snacks to subside their hunger and continue with their day. Snacking is not a bad thing, but overly snacking on salty, sugary foods can be bad for your health and can cause the “Freshman 15.” A good way to avoid the “Freshman 15” is by keeping healthier snacks, such as fruit, vegetables or low-calorie snacks, around you for when you want to snack  on something. 

Stress and emotional eating

As many know, college is a time for dramatic change. Unfortunately, more homework means more stress and more stress means overeating. Many students turn to eating in response to anxiety, sadness, stress or homesickness. There are plenty of other ways to cater to your stress and try to avoid overeating. For example, a stressed student can take out their stress by going to the gym, by hanging out with their friends or by taking time to have a “me day.” Do what you need to do to make yourself less stressed without affecting your physical health.

Not enough exercise

Many students in high school remained active by extracurricular activities or sports that they were involved in. After entering college they begin to notice that they aren’t as active as they used to be, which is definitely a cause of the “Freshman 15.” The change of diet and the change of exercise a student has can result in weight gain. Obviously, working out and staying active plays huge roles in being fit and healthy but many students don’t exercise as much as they should.

Not enough sleep

Many students don’t know this, but sleeping less than 6 hours a night can affect your hormones that control your appetite. If a student does not get the sleep they need, they tend to crave high-calorie or fatty foods during the day.

Drinking

Many college students drink and if you drink regularly, it is obvious that you will gain more weight faster. Many alcoholic drinks are high in calories and can deteriorate muscle. Staying away from binge drinking or not drinking too often is a good way to avoid the “Freshman 15.”

It is proven that about 1 out of 4 college freshmen gain about 10 pounds in their first semester of college. This infamous “Freshman 15” is dreadful but can also be avoided. It may seem difficult to remain the same weight or even harder to lose weight while in college but just remember that there are many ways you can limit the amount of weight you gain during this time.

5 reminders to avoid the “Freshman 15”:

1. Have regular meals and cut down on snacking2. Exercise whenever possible3. Get enough sleep4. Take out your stress in creative ways5. Don’t drink high-calorie, alcoholic drinks regularly

Breanna Perez is a sophomore at Temple University. Majoring at Journalism and being a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Breanna also enjoys hanging out with her friends, traveling and being active.   
Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.