History Has Its Eyes on Hamilton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

“How does a bastard, orphan, son of a whore and a Scotsman, dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot in the Caribbean” make for the world’s most talked about musical in decades?

It starts with the soundtrack.

The first few chords of the title song, “Alexander Hamilton,” give off a traditional musical vibe that might be expected of a Broadway hit about the Founding Fathers.

That is, until the rapping begins. Rapping in perfect rhythm, recreating some of history’s most iconic quotations, these seasoned Broadway performers prove that their skills go beyond traditional show tunes.  In fact, Hamilton was praised by Billboard as 2015’s best rap album. Maybe next year, Kanye.

But to call Hamilton just a rap album would be a travesty of revolutionary proportions.

The soundtrack tells the untold story of Alexander Hamilton through clever rap, mixed with stellar vocals, powerful ballads and theatrical renderings of dramatic scenes so powerful no visual is necessary.

Just when you think the whole album is laced together with a calculated blend of humor and hip-hop, it slaps the listener with poignant, well-written ballads like “Hurricane,” “Burn,” and the understated, soft conclusion “Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells your Story.”

Both fast-paced and dramatic, the album affords no room for dull moments, and every single track advances the plot forward in a way that will make you wish you paid attention in history class.

It’s safe to say Hamilton has “Blown us all Away.” 

Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.