GOAL!: Temple Students Cheer for International Soccer and the U.S. National Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Two weeks ago, national soccer teams around the world rushed to qualify for the 2014 FIFA World Cup that will take place in Brazil this upcoming June. On September 10, five teams proved they had what it takes to qualify for the group rounds: The Netherlands, Italy, Costa Rica, Argentina and the United States.

Among these powerhouse teams lies an unlikely source of soccer talent: the United States, more widely known for baseball and fast food, defeated Mexico in a 2-0 victory in Columbus, Ohio and secured a spot in Brazil.

Over the years, countries like Brazil, Italy and Spain have dominated national competitions. Season after season, they constantly produce world-class players like Ronaldinho, Xavi Hernandez, and Paolo Maldini. Given the history of these teams, not many people expected the United States to stand up and beat these soccer giants.

However, times are certainly changing. The United States is in the midst of shedding its label as the official underdog and establishing its team as a force to be reckoned with. With talented players such as Eddie Johnson and Clint Dempsey, this U.S. national team is proving to the world that they too can compete on an international level.  

The United States’ victory over Mexico has left fans excited and hopeful for the 2014 World Cup, many who can be found right here in North Philly. Temple University is home to a ton of United States soccer fans that are eager to express their love for their home team.

“I’ve supported the men’s national team for about four years now. The fire really got started in the last World Cup when Landon Donovan scored in extra time to lift the U.S. over Algeria. It was amazing, ” said Brendan Curry, a senior media studies and production major at Temple University. “It’ll be tough in Brazil and there will be more on the line but I think they’ll continue to mesh well together. This may be the best the team has ever been.”

Brendan is not the only United States fan who is predicting a good outcome in 2014. Megan Whelan, a junior journalism major at Temple, is also extremely excited for the competition in Brazil and expects her team to do well. “I think as long as they stay healthy, they’ll go far. They have played against talented sides like Italy and Spain and won. The United States is now a top force in CONCACAF. So it’s good to know you’re the best in your region.”  

So what does all this success do for soccer within the United States? Although soccer is by far the most popular sport around the world, the beautiful game struggles to gain appreciation from many Americans. Those who watch and love the U.S. national team seem to think their growing success will inspire fellow Americans to support their home team.

“If the US National Team is winning more games, more people are going to watch. That is how it is with any sports team. “ Jessica Shragher, a TU sophomore speech, language and hearing major, said of the popularity of soccer in the United States. “I only started to watch and support a few months ago because my boyfriend would always watch and talk about it. I am definitely starting to watch more on my own and like it more than I had previously.”

Dan Marcel, a junior journalism major, had similar thoughts. “I think that if the U.S. can do well in the World Cup this year, soccer will really start to become a popular sport.” Like many others, Dan began supporting the U.S. after Landon Donovan’s famous last-minute goal from the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. The heroic goals and major upsets pull more and more fans in every year.

Current U.S. fans at Temple agree that their home team’s success will prove to their fellow Americans that soccer can be popular in the United States. These fans believe that many Americans brush the team aside because of their inability to perform on an international level, but with their talented players and intensely passionate fans, the United States has a real chance at getting far this season.

The competition is young and other nations still need to qualify, so no one knows for sure which nations will be in which groups. The only thing that is certain is that the competition will be fierce, fans will be fired up and next summer will be a blast. No matter which team you support, keep an eye on the United States as they just might surprise you.

Jennifer Nguyen is a senior journalism student at Temple. She has been a part of Her Campus Temple since its formation in 2010 and being a part of HCTU has been one of the best things she has ever done. She aspires to be a magazine writer in New York after graduation. Jennifer is passionate about learning more about the world around her and hopes to travel the world one day. As a journalist, she strives to share the stories of people whose voices need to be heard. In her spare time, she loves reading French literature, learning languages and watching Bravo reality TV shows.