A Close Look at Philly Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Philly Fashion Week hit the city in full effect this season showcasing styles ranging from throwback ’90s fashion trends to present-day political statements. The biannual event returned for the fall season with parties and runway shows all throughout the city from September 19-24.

The week began with a “chic pool party” and swimwear fashion show in Northern Liberties on Monday, then a style gala at the Sugarhouse Casino on Tuesday, a VIP retail-based fashion show at Liberty Place on Wednesday, a Macy’s fall fashion show in Center City on Thursday, then main events in South Philly for the weekend. Presented by FBH, a Philadelphia-based modeling agency, the shows featured national and international designers and brands commonly worn by famous stars like R&B singer Mya, Cardi B and Philly’s own Amber Rose. The headlining events on Friday and Saturday—The Runway I and II—were held at 2300 Arena in South Philly. With everything ranging from casual, classic and vintage to flashy, sparkly and glamourous, the runway was as fabulous as ever.

On Friday September 23, opening night of the main runway shows, 2300 Arena was filled with stylish people of all ages, mingling and flaunting their best outfits, accessories and overall personal styles. The show featured eight national and international designers including (in order of appearance), Ke Collection, Onyx By Onyx Taylor, Milano Di Rouge, Ray Vincente, Burning Guitars, Ian Alexander, Decreed, L Revere, These Pink Lips, Volare, Cola Stylz Me, Nativ NY and Bishme Cromartie.

17-year old Angela Richter (pictured below), a senior at Plymouth-Whitemarsh High School, walked the runway for two designers at the show. As a current model for Barbizon Chique Modeling and Talent Agency, she has been in the business since age 11 and hopes to major in fashion merchandising in college.

“I feel that fashion is all around us from the things on the runway right down to the things we’re wearing right now—it’s part of everyday life,” Richter said.

Richter modeled the first designer, Ke Collection by Kevin Love, a graduate of the Art Institute of Philadelphia and the last, Bishme Cromartie, a Baltimore-based designer.

“I modeled for the first line that came out—I know his inspiration is a lot of African style,” Richter said. “And I modeled for the last one, Bishme, and he has some amazing work—he has those really great metallic fabrics.”

Richter said she has a love for Philadelphia considering it’s a city so close to home. She has traveled across country throughout her modeling career and visited places including New York and California, but she is often drawn back to Philly.

“I just love and enjoy everything I do here for Philly Fashion Week,” she added. 

Tkeyah Devine, a student at West Chester University also attended Friday’s show with a connection to the last designer, Bishme Cromartie. One of her good friends worked with Cromartie for Philly Fashion Week and brought Devine to the show with her.

“I like to get dressed up—I mean I’m not every day beautiful but I like being fashionable and I like using clothes to express myself and do what I want,” Devine said. “I like that it lets people express themselves.”

Devine and others at the show agreed that fashion is one the purest form of expression and is an excellent platform for creativity. Not only does it allow connecting and networking over the latest fashion trends, it lets people do whatever they want. It’s an art form that creates personal masterpieces and despite what any fashion police say—the sky is the limit in the fashion world.

Alexa Zizzi

Temple '17

Alexa currently serves as a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus Media. She is a journalism graduate from Temple University with a love for writing and passion for adventure. She enjoys dancing, traveling, and laying on the beach rather than taking long walks on it. Her work has been published in Her Campus Temple, Philadelphia Magazine, The Temple News, Fourteenth Street Magazine, Philadelphia Neighborhoods and The Odyssey Online.
Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.