Campus Celeb: Kara Ganley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Many of us may dream of bidding farewell to the East Coast when January rolls around and relocating to the warmth of Los Angeles. For Kara Ganley, a dual major in film and advertising Temple University, this dream is becoming a reality.

“I’ve always been fascinated by movies and the ability to tell stories and use visuals to make it seem real and to make creative pieces,” Ganley shares.

In the spring semester, Ganley will complete an internship program in Los Angeles at one of the major film companies.

“I was offered a position at a company that makes reality television shows, as well as scripted television shows, that are featured on many different channels. I just had a first-round interview for NBCUniversal and recently had an interview for a company on the Disney studio lot,” Ganley says.

In the meantime, Ganley currently interns at Allied Integrated Marketing in Philadelphia, a company with over 23 offices across the United States.

At her current internship, Ganley works under 20th Century Fox and for Broadway shows that are performed at the Kimmel Center. On a typical day, Ganley can be found researching, calling companies and explaining Allied Integrated Marketing’s latest promotions, and helping find companies to participate.

Ganley says, “I’ve done some crazy things for my internship, like one time I had to dress up as a flapper and raffle off tickets at the Reading Terminal Market.”

Her current internship also gives her the opportunity to attend pre-released shows and movie screenings, in addition to receiving free movie merchandise.

Post-graduation, Ganley hopes to permanently move to Los Angeles and do script coverage work. She plans to eventually work her way up to a producer or video editor in the oh-so-glamorous Hollywood.

“In LA I’m hoping to network a lot and will hopefully get an internship in script coverage, which is basically reading scripts and then deciding if they are worthy of becoming a movie or not,” Ganley explains. “I’ve been interested in film since 7th grade, so the fact that I’m going to spend a full semester in Los Angeles will be an incredible experience.”

Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.