andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

9 Essential Clothes to Pack in Your Suitcase for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Whether you have a casual family Thanksgiving dinner at home, a dinner out with family and friends, or a large get together, packing the right clothes from school to go home for the holiday break is stressful. With so little room in the suitcase and so many outfit ideas in mind, forgetting something is inevitable. To avoid packing outfits that you will put on and hate, here are essentials to make sure you pack for a variety of looks for every type of celebration:   

1. Leggings

Leggings will be your best friend when it comes to overeating and still being comfortable. With leggings there’s no need to sit back and unbutton your pants after this meal (let’s be honest we’ve all done that). Black leggings can be put together with almost anything; a nice sweater with a pair a knee high boots and you got yourself a comfy Thanksgiving outfit. Leggings are also very easy to just roll up and save room in your suitcase.

2. Sweaters

I can’t stress enough how much I love sweaters. They can either be formal if matched with a set of jewelry or it can be a little more casual; a big sweater matched with a comfy scarf. To save another button from being popped, leave the buttoned blouses at school. Sometimes sweaters take up a lot of room in suitcases… but that’s why you pack leggings right? Pick a couple of your favorite sweaters to bring home.

3. Sweater Dresses

A nice sweater dress is both formal and so comfy. Sweater dresses can be dressed up and dressed down for whatever type of event that takes place. Even if you don’t know what you should wear, you can never go wrong with a sweater dress because they’re never too formal or too casual.

4. Layers

It is always a good idea to bring layers you can put on or, most importantly, take off. It’s not uncommon to dress in a super cute outfit and then have to tear it apart because we’re burning up. You can layer with jean jackets, light sweaters, or blazers with a lighter shirt on under. It is just as important to stay cool as it is to look cool.

5. Knee High boots or booties

This can be hard to pack, so I recommend wearing the knee high boots home and planning on wearing them back. Knee highs are adorable and essential for a fall look. Booties on the other hand, can be easier to pack. So, if you’ve got room for that great pair of booties you have yet to wear, pack em’.

6. Flats

If you’re not into the boots, flats are a great go-to. They can be worn formally or casually and they’re really comfortable. One rule for shoes is DON’T bring heels unless you’re really comfortable in them- wine will be poured and heels will be lost.  

7. Scarves

I am 100 percent an advocate for scarves. If you’re not into packing jewelry, scarves can be a cute replacement accessory. Not only can you pack a warm scarf, you can search through your closet for all those gorgeous scarves you  have that don’t keep you warm but are really cute. Those thin scarves always come in handy for the holidays!   

8. Sweatpants

Sweatpants, if they’re not already in your suitcase, should be. Taking off that Thanksgiving outfit, after stuffing your stomach with delicious food, and throwing on your sweatpants is such a great feeling. DON’T forget them, you’ll be sad if you do I promise.

9. Temple Sweatshirt

If your Thanksgiving celebration with family is super casual, take advantage of that and strut your stuff in school pride. There’s always that one extended family member who is a huge Penn State fan – now is your time to shine- wear that Temple sweatshirt proud. Sweatshirts are another great essential to throw on after a long Thanksgiving day.

Hopefully this makes packing for break a little easier. Don’t make the mistake of wearing an outfit you won’t be comfortable in. All you need to be worrying about is how much food you can consume. Happy (almost) Thanksgiving!

Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus