8 Ways You’re Procrastinating Studying for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Imagine: there’s less than a month left of the spring semester. You can see the light at the end of a long tunnel. It’s warm (finally). As for seasonal depression? Don’t know her. But, one dark cloud remains: finals week.

So, what do you do?

Well, not study…that’s for sure.

It’s no secret that finals are looming, but won’t continue to ignore them and push studying off until the very last second — ah, aren’t self destructive habits just *the best*? No worries — you’re not alone. Here’s a list of activities that everyone is probably definitely doing instead of cracking open a text book.

Sitting on the Beach to “do homework” with friends

Okay, you had the right intentions with this. You brought your laptop, your headphones, your planner — heck, you even brought some highlighters. But it was doomed from the start. Sadly, there is no way for you to actually focus on Beury Beach surrounded by your closest friends and the warm sun that you forgot existed. Anytime you try to read an article or look over your notes, you’ll be interrupted by one of your friends reminding you of one of the many embarrassing things you did the night before. Or maybe they’ll be disrupting you with 1) your favorite song that you just *have* to sing along to, or 2) the smell of…well, you know. Regardless, you’ll be leaving Beury happy, tan, and completely unprepared for that final.

Going into the city

Since you’re lucky enough to live in a city, it’s just be plain ~rude~ not to utilize your surroundings. So what if drinking a smoothie in Rittenhouse Square isn’t going to help you with your Calculus final? You deserve this. Or, you probably don’t — but do it anyway.

Daylonging

‘Tis the season. Why study for your finals when you can publicly embarrass yourself in broad daylight? Cheers!

Social media stalking

Ah, the source of all procrastination ever. Give a girl a phone and the Instagram handle of someone she hates, and she’ll be preoccupied for at least the next five-to-seven business days. Sure, you only went on your phone to check one thing, but now your hate stalking your crush’s ex-girlfriend’s little sister’s pictures all the way back to summer 2011, where she’s doing a cartwheel in Ocean City, Maryland. It wasn’t supposed to end up like this, yet here we are.

Eating literally everything

Sometimes, it’s 2 p.m. when you realize you’ve not only eaten at J&H, but also gotten Jamba Juice and chugged a Saxbys’ iced coffee all in the span of three hours…#clean #eating. It’s okay, we’ve all been there. You’re probably not even that hungry most times. But continuously eating is just much more enjoyable than actually accomplishing any of your goals for the day.

Calling family members you never talk to

If you find yourself calling your Great Aunt Anne to talk about “college,” you’re probably procrastinating something. She’s probably going to talk about her cats and ask you about the boyfriend you don’t have — but, for some reason, that’s better than studying for finals.

Working on extracurricular assignments

Finals may be in three weeks, but you just have *so much* other stuff you need to finish first! Like those summer internship applications. Also, you’re taking a lot of hard classes next year, so you may as well get a head start on those. And, honestly, you’re probably going to have an essay due your junior year second semester, so you should probably just knock that out right now. Ugh, you’re so on top of things.

Reading this article

TBH, you probably should be studying for your upcoming finals instead of reading this article––but, hey, I’m not complaining. Read on!

When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator. 
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus