7 Life Lessons The Vampire Diaries Taught Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As we wipe our tears and throw out our tissues after watching the heart-wrenching series finale of The Vampire Diaries, it is important to remember all of the beautiful memories from this sensational TV hit. Not only was this show about blood-sucking vampires and all aspects of the supernatural, but there were also stories of love and friendship and all that comes with these relationships. Through the mistakes and decisions made by the characters, we are left learning valuable lessons that will help us make it through life.

Here are some of the themes from the show that taught us all life lessons.

Family 

The theme of family remains constant throughout the entire show. The sibling relationships between Stefan, Damon, Elena, and Jeremy; the mother-daughter relationship between Caroline and Sheriff Forbes; and the loving relationship between Bonnie and her grandmother emphasize the idea that family is forever. No matter how many times you make mistakes, family will be there for you with open arms ready to help you wipe away your tears and put your pieces back together.

Friendship 

Whether it be Bonnie, Elena and Caroline, Alaric and Damon, or Lexi and Stefan, there is no shortage of strong friendships throughout the series. The friendships each of the characters have is what brings them the most happiness and stability in their life. These strong bonds teach us that our true friends are always there for us in situations that make us want to laugh or cry, and this makes them some of the most important people in our lives.

Redemption 

Each character in the show experiences their fair share of bad decisions in various seasons. However, many of them try to right the wrongs they have committed. Redemption is an ever-present theme in the series and we get to witness some of our favorite characters change for the better. These transformations remind us all that even if we mess up, hurt those close to us, or make poor choices, we can always look forward, move on, and learn from these battle scars.

Forgiveness 

The first step on the road to redemption is forgiveness. The characters show their vulnerability when they ask their friends, family, and even enemies for forgiveness during the show. Not only do these characters show the importance of asking for forgiveness, but they also express the need to forgive those that have done them wrong. The Vampire Diaries reveals that although forgiveness is not always easy, it is necessary to mend relationships with others, and ourselves.

Love 

Photo Credits: The Vampire Diaries/CW

Love is shown in various forms and relationships on the show. Whether it be the love of family and friends, or the epic love of our favorite ships from the show, The Vampire Diaries knows how to pull at our heartstrings. These relationships not only prove that love is full of ups and downs, and happy and tragic times, but that it conquers all and it is what makes us who we are.

Loyalty 

One thing you quickly learn about each of the characters in the show is that they stay loyal to each other no matter what. They must make tough decisions when they are put into tricky scenarios to show where their allegiances lie. Even if the result could be harmful for them, they never snitch. The characters prove that loyalty is a key component of a solid friendship. Without loyalty, there is not trust, and if you do not have trust then the relationship is doomed to end horribly.

Sacrifice

All of the characters in the show sacrifice something at some point in the show, and these sacrifices make for some of the most emotional scenes (SPOILER ALERT: Stefan sacrificing himself for the sake of Damon and Elena still kills me). Sacrifices are valuable to any good relationship, and The Vampire Diaries proves that through the tight-knit bonds the characters share with one another.  

Lisa Cunningham is currently a sophomore Journalism major at Temple University. When she is not listening to music, living it up at a concert or hanging with friends, Cunningham loves to write about all things relate to pop culture!
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.