5 Body Positive Hashtags We Should be Using

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

In today’s day and age, it’s easy to blame social media for a lot of young women’s issues with their self image, and rightfully so. We’re all guilty of scrolling down our Instagram feed and seeing a picture and saying “I wish I looked like that” or “her life looks so great”. Although what we don’t consider is the perception that an Instagram picture or Facebook picture is just that, a picture, a captured moment in time with no proximate context.  Filters and edits are used to improve pictures as well and what we are seeing on our “news feeds” are so much more than meets the eye. As an avid social media user myself, I enjoy posting pictures and looking at what my friends share, I think social media is a great outreach tool for friends. Yes, social networking has been accompanying a negative connotation since it’s boom in popularity, but what if we’re just using it the wrong way? Here are five hashtags you we can start using with our social media to help bring out its true essence, as well as your inner beauty.

1. #NoMakeUpMonday

A campaign started by the Delta Phi Epsilon sorority as a kick-off to their ANAD week. ANAD stands for The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. This week is dedicated to promoting self-love and what better way to do it than with a fresh, clean-faced, selfie! Make-up doesn’t create beauty, YOU do, so the next time you’re thinking about posting a selfie, ditch the mascara…all you need is a smile!  

2 . #NoFilter

In the day and age of digital editing, it’s no secret that people use filters and editing applications to enhance their photos. In my opinion, there is nothing more beautiful than a raw, pure and un-edited photo of yourself. Yeah editing applications can sometimes be fun, but they’re not necessary to get that perfect shot. Head outside and take a nice selfie in some natural light, you wont regret it!

3.  #LoveYourself

More than just a popular J-biebs song, #LoveYourself can mean so much in terms of positive self-love and acceptance. We so often express our love to others, but not enough to ourselves. Self-assurance and acceptance are the first steps into a positive identity outlook and overall personal approval. Know yourself, be yourself, and most importantly – #LoveYourself, becaue you’re pretty freakin’ awesome.

4. #YoureWorthIt

You, yes you. #YoureWorthIt, and don’t let anyone tell you you’re not. As girls we need to be building each other up, not tearing one another down. No one should think less of themselves because they don’t like the way a picture turns out. This hashtag serves to motivate others as well. I’m worth it, she’s worth it, we’re all worth it. Love who you are and be the best versions of yourself.

5. #TrashYourInsecurities

Another campaign started in support of ANAD and all those fighting an eating disorder or struggling with self-acceptance. There’s beauty in imperfection and (contrary to popular belief) flawless does NOT equal beautiful. Our flaws are what make us who we are, how boring would the world be if we all looked exactly the same? Embrace your imperfections; they make you the strong and beautiful individual you are. Who knows, something you dislike about yourself may be someone else’s favorite part about you.

Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.