Zéna Merhi: Her TCNJ Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Everyone meet Zéna Merhi, a senior Early Childhood Education major from Jackson, New Jersey. She started TCNJ as a Music major, but decided that wasn’t the right path for her. In her free time, Zéna enjoys sitting around, knitting, and cooking. Since her time at TCNJ, Zéna has been immensely involved in the TCNJ community. During her sophomore year, Zéna joined Tri Sigma and since then, has taken on the role of Campus Coordinator for her chapter.  

“I’m a campus coordinator for Adam Block Design. I try to get organizations to buy apparel for us. I reach out to different organizations and their merchandise career. I’m a waitress at home; it’s at Cornerstone: Kitchen and Tap. Finally, I’m a desk assistant in Eickhoff Hall.”

I took the liberty of asking Zéna a few questions to help us get to know her better:

AF: Why did you choose TCNJ?

ZM: “Originally, I didn’t want to go here. My mom forced me to look at this school and I fell in love with it actually. I came here originally for Music Education which is different from what I’m doing now and I knew this was a good school for me. It’s really close to home and I think the campus is beautiful and I enjoy the people here.”

AF: What are your plans after graduating?

ZM: “Oh boy! Okay. I really want to teach Urban Education in Philadelphia.  Hopefully in a public school. I’m a free spirit and wouldn’t mind teaching overseas; that’s an ultimate goal of mine. I’m not sure if I want to go to grad school yet because sometimes life gets in the way, so I don’t know if that’s the best choice for me. I’m still not sure what I want to do once I graduate.”

AF: What advice would you give any incoming TCNJ students?

ZM: “My first biggest thing is probably to get involved as much as you can. It’s kind of like it’s high school all over again. I have some regrets of not being as involved in high school so I’m trying to make up for that now. Definitely stay focused; never lose sight of your goals academically and your long-term goals”

Zéna also advises incoming TCNJ students to get out of their comfort zone and meet new people. She encourages them to be true to who they are and never let anyone change them.

AF: What are some unforgettable memories you have here at TCNJ?

ZM: “When I was a music major and I got up on that stage; I remember my first music recital and I chose Spanish Tango, even though I was nervous, that feeling of knowing I was done and I got so much praise. And the next year, I did a Jewish song and it was just the saddest most beautiful song ever that related to me and it brought people to tears. The rest of my unforgettable moments I have to credit to my Tri Sigma sisters. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for them.”

Ashley Franklin graduated The College of New Jersey with a BS in Marketing and minor in Communications. During her time at TCNJ, she actively contributed to their Her Campus chapters' online magazine, taking on many roles from Marketing/Publicity Coordinator to Social Media Specialist. She's a lover of all things fashion, beauty and food--and enjoys binge-watching the latest Netflix series (Gossip Girl being one of her faves).
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.