Why More TV Shows Need Dads Like Jack Pearson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Since its 2016 premiere, This is Us has captivated millions of viewers with its storylines that tug on heartstrings, and characters that feel like old friends. The show has enjoyed extreme success, including an approval rating of 94% on Rotten Tomatoes for its most recent season, numerous awards (including an Emmy, two Screen Actors Guild awards, a Critics’ Choice Award and more) and average viewer counts upwards of 10 million.

The show is beloved for many reasons, one of them being its representation of fathers. Jack Pearson, head of the show’s family clan, is a breath of fresh air when it comes to fathers on television. In contrast to the harmful archetypes of absent, foolish and couldn’t-care-less fathers that popular shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy, and Modern Family portray, Jack Pearson is the kind of father that more television shows desperately need.

Image Source

Jack Pearson has an All-American Dad feeling to him. He plays football with his kids, works in the construction business and has an unwavering loyalty to his favorite football team. Underneath all of that, however, he is a vulnerable individual with fears and faults- just like the rest of us. This is Us explores the side of humanity that is not shown on television very often- Jack struggles with addiction, PTSD, his abusive upbringing, loss, grief and pain. He and his wife Rebecca experience the loss of a child and their struggle to overcome that is not hidden from viewers.

Jack Pearson is a father whose humanity is not held back. Viewers see him cry, break down, cope with grief and fail. Jack’s character is so special because it goes directly against detrimental expectations that society has for men. Men are expected to always be strong, to never let their guard down too much or show too many of their feelings. Men are expected to be breadwinners, protectors, and fixers. But what happens when they need fixing themselves?

This is a reality that we do not see much of on television. This is Us has shown its millions of viewers that it is okay to not have things together all the time. It is okay to lean on others for help and to be open about your struggles. The show’s fight against aged and toxic ideas of what men should be does not go unnoticed or unappreciated by viewers.

Image Source

The same authenticity that is given to Jack’s character manifests itself throughout the rest of the show. Jack’s daughter Kate struggles with weight loss, fertility issues, and a miscarriage. Jack’s adopted son Randall suffers from extreme anxiety, as well as identity issues that stem from him learning difficult truths about his biological family. Jack’s son Kevin suffers the same path of addiction as his father, as well as extreme grief that has not been properly addressed. Finally, Jack’s wife Rebecca has incredible pain of her own, including the loss of her husband and her fight to keep the family together after his death.

There is much to be said about This is Us. The show that has captivated millions does not seem to be slowing down any time soon. Its authenticity and nontraditional portrayal of the human condition continue to inspire, affect and touch viewers throughout the world. As the show continues, its beauty and relevance will continue to deepen. In light of the struggles, conflicts and division that exist today, This is Us never fails to remind viewers that through it all, we have each other.

Sarah is a current sophomore student at The College of New Jersey. She studies sociology and has minors in both journalism and women's, gender and sexuality studies. Sarah is an avid reader, coffee drinker, explorer and plant lover. She is also a house manager in her school's performance venues. Sarah's favorite shows include Prison Break, Criminal Minds, Property Brothers, Game of Thrones and This is Us. You can find Sarah at: twitter.com/sapaww instagram.com/pacificdaisies falloutsoy.tumblr.com
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.