This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Ladies, have you ever wanted to feel a bit safer walking down the street, a bit more confident when you stand, or just be able to throw a punch? Then you are the perfect candidate for a Mixed Martial Arts, or MMA, class. I know what you’re thinking, I don’t want to get beat up. I promise you will not walk into class and get punched in the face. I have practiced MMA for ten years and not a single one of my classes started with my instructor surprise attacking me as I walk through the door. Here are the reasons every girl should try MMA and every reason why your hesitations are just holding you back.

Image Source

Hesitation: I won’t be any good

Why you should do it anyway: Because your fears don’t control you

This is a common fear every beginner has, no matter what they are doing. I suggest you check out my other article How to Be A Beginner, where I explain why there is no shame in being a beginner. There should be nothing but pride in your heart when you start something new. You have made an active decision to work towards one of your goals and that’s badass.

Image Source

Hesitation: MMA is intimidating

Why you should do it anyway: MMA is empowering

I know movies and TV have made any form of martial arts look like an all-boys club for the strongest and most intense people around. But that is all a dramatization. In actuality, MMA is a beautiful sport that focuses on not only physical strength and agility but also mental strength and focus. In today’s society, girls are not taught to take control of their bodies the way boys are. But in MMA, everyone learns how to regain control over themselves and their bodies. Your own strength will surprise you. With enough practice you will become confident in your strength and in yourself.

I can still remember the first time I really kicked someone holding a target, and I watched them go flying into the wall behind them. I must’ve been ten when that happened, and I can still remember the astonishment I felt when I realized how much power I had. And it only grew as I got older.

Image Source

Hesitation: You’re afraid of getting hurt

Why you should do it anyway: You’ll become healthier

If you are still afraid of getting hurt, I will tell you the truth. You will get hurt, you might get bruises so big and ugly they turn yellow and green. But every bruise is a medal of pride. No one in an MMA class is afraid of getting hurt, because we all know that even though it happens, we’ll still survive. Your instructors will not let you fight someone unless they are confident you can defend yourself, and dish out some damage too.

It’s also a great source of exercise; combining cardio, strength, and fun. Don’t be afraid to explore different types of MMA either. There is Karate, Taekwondo, Kickboxing, Capoeira, Muay Tai, and more. Not mention the combination of exercise and exerting power is all so good for your mental health. Nothing relieves stress like kicking a target on repeat.

Image Source