What You Need to Know Before Going Home For Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

A week of relaxation, catching up on sleep, and hopefully no more snow! Spring break is less than a week away, and with the crazy semester in full swing, a break seems to be exactly what your brain needs to recuperate. If you’re feeling unsure of what to do to prepare for spring break, follow these steps and enjoy your week home (or if you’re lucky- somewhere warm), worry free!

Make a list of what you’ll need to pack. I always keep a post-it of all the items I’ll need when go home. Clothes, shoes, laptop, toiletries… the list goes on. Writing out a list will help you pack quickly and sufficiently during your stress-filled midterms week.

Throw out all garbage. If you don’t, no one else will. And who really wants to come back after a relaxing break to a smelly room full of ants? Also, be sure to recycle!

Leave your blinds open and shut your lights off. So the administration knows the room is empty and you’re not camping out in the dorms for a week. *If you live on the ground floor, you are permitted to shut the blinds*

Bring home your pets. Your fish and hamsters want to go home with you and meet your families! Make sure you bring them home with any food or resources you use for them on an everyday basis.

Lock windows and doors. So everything left in your room is secure and will be waiting for you when you come back.

Sign the checklist that will be taped to your door. Your CA will tape a checklist on your door several days before spring break. All of these important steps will be on that checklist in case you forget, so make sure before you rush to the car and head home, you review all the points on the list to confirm you’ve done them all. If not, you run the risk of getting a citation by your CA. (And that’s never fun.)

Enjoy your break! Watch movies, eat home-cooked meals, spend time with friends and unwind after the crazy first-half of the semester! This week-long break goes by quicker than you’d think, so make sure you appreciate every minute! 

Cristina is a junior at The College of New Jersey studying English Secondary Education. She loves writing and is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus Staff! Cristina is a DJ at the radio station located on The College of New Jersey campus, 91.3 WTSR. She also loves music and records covers and originals in her free time.