What You Didn’t Know About Birth Control

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

In the past decade, the number of teenage girls in the U.S. taking an oral contraceptive, or the birth control pill, has increased by 50 percent. But is the pill the most effective method to protect against unwanted pregnancy? New studies reveal that using a birth control pill, even in combination with a condom, may not be enough. 

Among all unintended pregnancies in the country, 50 percent occur among women who think they are using contraception correctly.  Despite the variety of options today, unintended pregnancy continues to be a major public health issue in the USA, according to an article from the Elsevier Journal. The majority of these unplanned pregnancies are due to inconsistent or incorrect use of contraceptives that involve regular action by the user, like taking a birth control pill every day.

Each year, one out of 50 women whose partners always use condoms correctly will become pregnant. Even if you are on the pill, not using a condom puts you at a 9 percent risk of pregnancy, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. If you are not on the pill, the risk of getting pregnant when you’re using a condom is at 18 percent. In addition to pregnancy, unprotected sex puts you at risk for Sexually Transmitted Infections, which one in four teens will contract each year.

Your other options

Intrauterine devices are 45 times more effective than oral contraceptives. The use of intrauterine devices, such as Mirena or the ParaGard, has increased over the past decade. This statistic is not surprising since the risk of unprotected pregnancy while using these devices alone is at .2 percent, versus birth control pills alone, which puts you at a 9 percent risk. Many new intrauterine devices have been developed to improve comfort and allow for a lower dose of hormones.

About one million women in the U.S. are now using contraceptive vaginal rings. Contraceptive vaginal rings like NuvaRing are left in place for 3 weeks and removed for 1 week, and a new ring is used each month. “Reports suggest that the ring is as effective as oral contraceptives in preventing pregnancy when used as directed,” according to the article from Elsevier.

The choice is yours

“Most women can use birth control pills safely,” says Jennifer Miller, vice president of Community Services at the Mercer Area Planned Parenthood Association. “But all medications have some risks, so safety is a concern when choosing a birth control method.”

Certain conditions, including smoking and high blood pressure, may increase the risk of serious side effects from taking the pill. “Some of these conditions may even rule out using the pill,” Miller says. If you’re choosing between the pill and another form of contraception, talk with your healthcare provider to find out which option is best for you.

“Above all, take charge of your health,” Miller says. Whether you’re concerned about contraceptives, STI’s, or have general questions about your sexual health, Planned Parenthood is on campus in health services Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.  You can make an appointment online at http://health.pages.tcnj.edu/about/appointments/ or call 609-771-2889.

TCNJ Journalism Major