Valentine’s Day For the Valentine-less

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

It’s almost Valentine’s Day and while many are getting ready to surprise their significant others with huge teddy bears, jewelry and boxes of chocolates, some of us are just trying to avoid the day. But instead of being the Valentine’s Day Grinch, why not find a fun way to enjoy the holiday without a boyfriend or girlfriend?

First, grab some friends who aren’t celebrating the day with their mates. This is a great time for you to watch some chick flicks, catch a marathon of your favorite TV show (I recommend MTV’s Awkward) or maybe even hit the mall. Plus, who doesn’t love being around their friends when they’re feeling lonely?

Another option is to focus your mind on something other than Valentine’s Day. Immerse yourself in your work or even in a good book – anything that will redirect your energy to something more productive than mourning over the holiday.

For many of us anti-valentiners, the thought of not having anyone to pamper us on this day consumes us. But why not pamper yourself? Grab a friend and hit your local spa for mani/pedis and facials.  Get all dolled up, take some selfies and post them to your favorite social media site. There are sure to be other single people out there who will appreciate your pics.

And if all else fails, eat your heart out. Yes, that’s right – eat. It will help you forget that you’re single on Valentine’s Day. Stock up on some of your favorite snacks and have a Valentine’s Day feast. Celebrate your independence rather than sorrow over your singleness.

If you find yourself sobbing about not having a valentine, remember that there are still fun alternatives for those of us on Team Single.