Turning to the Tutoring Center Can Give Much Needed Help

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Image Source

So, you’re stuck. You find yourself struggling every time you walk into Discrete Algebra, French 103, Math 101, or any course in between. You’re just about ready to drop the class, take the incomplete, give up all hope, and move to Costa Rica to surf for a living instead. But, before you buy the plane ticket and pack your bag, there is an option to get the much-needed aid in a course that’s giving you trouble: the Tutoring Center.

A free service for you as a student, The Tutoring Center, located in 201 Roscoe West on campus, is a great first step to finding success in a class you never thought possible. Here is the run-down on how to get a tutor, or become one if you want to start helping other students succeed.

To get a tutor…

1. Drop by the Center to schedule a session.

• The Tutoring Center provides tutoring in just about every course available for students and is divided into two sectors: Math and Sciences, and Humanities and Social Sciences. Each part has about 60-70 tutors who tutor multiple subjects at multiple times, so you are sure to be matched up with one that is right for you. Stop by to request a tutor, and most likely, you’ll be signed up with one before you leave.

2. Find the right tutor for you.

• If you aren’t vibing with your tutor after your first session, don’t worry. Talk to the Tutoring Center director, either Ms. G or Dr. King, and switch to another tutor.

3. Sign up for a Writing Consultation

• Even if you aren’t in need of help in a specific class, if you have a paper coming up and could use a second opinion, you can schedule a Writing Consultation with a tutor. In this hour block, the tutor can help you develop your thesis, check spelling and grammar, and overall improve the quality of your paper.

4. Check out e-Tutoring

To become a tutor…

1. Attend an interest meeting.

• Both sections of the Tutoring Center hold interest meetings in spring semester for the upcoming fall. At this session, you can get all of the information on becoming a tutor and schedule your interview. The requirements for being a tutor are all here on the Tutoring Center’s website: https://tutoringcenter.tcnj.edu/join-the-center/

2. Interview!

• One of the directors will interview you to test out your communication skills and assess your skills as a tutor.

3. Congrats, you got the job!

• If you are hired, congratulations! You’re ready to start helping students. You will begin officially in the fall, when you will begin your IDS 291 or 292 training course, which will provide you with information on how to be a great tutor. This course runs for either 5 or 10 weeks and is an add-on to your usual course schedule (do not worry, the class is very useful and will not add any stress to your tough workload). Soon enough, you’ll begin sessions with your students!

Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.