Things to Be Thankful for (Not Just in November)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

While Thanksgiving is a great time to cherish the things, we should remember to be thankful all year long, not just around the holidays. Here are a few out of the MANY to keep in mind in the upcoming months:

1. Family

The saying “family is forever” could not be more important to remember all year round. Your family members are your biggest fans, and the best support system. Being away from them for months at a time can be tough, especially when school picks up and all you want is a hug from your mom, but we should remember that our families are only a phone call away and that they are cheering us on while we are not at home. Randomly hug your parents and siblings and be grateful to have them in your life and for their constant support for all that you do.

2. Friends

Friends are your family away from home. They will always be there to make you laugh in the late hours of the night while also always lending a shoulder to cry on when you fail a test, have a problem with a boy, or just need to vent about life. Be grateful for friends from home and friends from school- you will always have people who care about you no matter where you are. These are your friends for life, so remember to thank them for all they have done in the past, all they do now, and all they will do in the future.

3. Education

Being privileged enough to have an education is something to be thankful for all the time. While most of us have thoughts of “I’m ready to drop out, work at a fast food restaurant and live with my parents for the rest of my life” after a rough day or a tough exam, we need to quickly move past these thoughts and be grateful that we are able to have this opportunity. Education is a foundation for the future, and it is such a privilege to get to go learn something new every day. Be grateful for the fantastic opportunity to get smarter each day and work towards a great job after college.

4. Food

What, honestly, is better than food? Of course, at this time of year, the food is fantastic- turkey, desserts galore, and SO many leftovers. But, while many of us are blessed to have homemade food on the table when we return home from school, some people are not as blessed. Be grateful for the delicious food you have all the time and, especially during the holidays, consider donating some to people who may not be as privileged.

5. Pets

Whether you’re a dog person or a cat person, a pet is without a doubt something to be thankful for all year round. They’ll come up and cuddle with you when you’re sad, and some of the crazy things they do are just so silly that you can’t help but laugh and wish you had gotten a video. Unfortunately, I don’t have a pet to love and obsess over, so I am very thankful for everyone else’s pets and all the wonderful pictures of them on social media. Keep posting so I can live vicariously through you.

6. Music

Music is one of the greatest things in life. It helps with any mood. Some are there when you need a good cry, others are able to get you outside your comfort zone and dance like no one is watching. Music is such a stress reliever- be thankful for all the playlists and albums that have gotten you through your toughest times and your happiest memories. It’s there all the time, so be grateful for it all year round!

Maddi is the current President and Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a senior journalism student at The College of New Jersey who loves pugs, napping, and all things food.
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.