stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

TCNJ’s Trip to the UN

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

On April 26 th , the TCNJ International Studies majors embarked on a journey to the United Nations Headquarters. TCNJ was invited to attend the WIT (World Information Transfer) 25thInternational Conference on Health and Environment. WIT is a non-profit NGO that is in General Consultative Status with the United Nations.

Visiting the United Nations in New York City for the first time was astonishing. The beautiful building was surrounded by waving flags, a breeze from the East River, and “DIPLOMAT”- licensed-plate cars swarmed around us like bees. The atmosphere made everyone feel liket a universal figure instantly!

The two conferences discussed health and environment topics relating to the 30th anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster in Ukraine. To this day, the nuclear plant’s explosion continues toharm the habitat and people suffer from the immense radioactive exposure they once received. Ambassadors from Ukraine, Lithuania, Germany, the Czech Republic, and Japan ccompaniedthe first conference. The second conference was joined by professors from universities such as NYU and Columbia, and they presented their research on various topics such as toxins andcontroversial vaccines.

The most unexpected yet welcomed guest at this conference was the comedian Jim Carrey. He nonchalantly chatted with the UN’s ambassadors before the conference formally began and listened respectfully to the research presented on “Toxic Contamination of Children” on his Tuesday afternoon. Special attention was never drawn to him, yet the room was obviously happy for his presence. This marvelous experience was a once in a life time opportunity!

Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.