TCNJ Professor Spotlight: Kathleen Nicholson Webber

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

By Mackenzie Cutruzzula

When you step into Professor Kathleen Webber’s office, at first it appears to be like every other professor’s office you’ve went into to discuss that big paper or try to boost your grade. The closer you look in her office, however, the more unique tokens you’ll find of a long career in fashion and journalism.

From The Sixth Sense promotional poster signed with a personal paragraph from director M. Night Shyamalan that hangs on her wall to the small-framed photo of a dinner party where she is seated with her former boss Michael Kors, Kathleen Webber has seen it all.

After graduating with a business degree from St. Mary’s University in Indiana, Webber settled down briefly in Chicago, but eventually moved back to the East Coast starting her career in New York City. She found herself working in Macy’s corporate buying office for a time. She then took a position as a fabric buyer for a virtually unknown up-and-coming designer, Michael Kors.

Wanting to branch out in her career, but not seeing herself as a designer Webber went back to school for her Master’s in journalism at New York University. She broke into the industry as a copywriter at Self, and then made the move to the fashion trade publication Women’s Wear Daily and their magazine partner W magazine. “I wrote for the school paper in college, but I didn’t know anyone who did it for a living so I thought it was only going to be a hobby for me,” Webber said.

She spent seven years at these publications and attended New York Fashion Week every year, spending her days looking at clothes and trends. “Living in New York was the most exciting time in my career,” Webber said. “It was young and fun, and every day was different. I sat front and center at New York Fashion Week, watching at least seven shows a day and meeting designers.”

Webber left New York to raise her children closer to family in Pennsylvania, but she couldn’t give up on NYC just yet. Webber spent three-and-a-half years commuting back and forth from Bucks County, PA to the Big Apple.

Webber eventually gave up the four-hour commute for freelancing and other opportunities. She jumped on these opportunities and became the interim fashion critic for the Inquirer and helped launch Philadelphia Style. Later, she was an editor for New Jersey Life. While freelancing she was able to interview a wide variety of different subjects. These subjects include TCNJ alumni and artist, Timothy Martin, as well as the late Oscar de la Renta. The interview with de la Renta was her favorite.

While still freelancing, Webber enjoyed her time as a professor at Temple University and  is now a professor here at The College of New Jersey. Although Webber never planned on being a journalist, she said, “I’m glad the stars aligned for me and I encourage students to try to do what you love, but work hard.”