TCNJ Autism Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

All around TCNJ, clubs and organizations are ‘Lighting the Campus Blue’ for Autism Awareness month. The fountain in the science complex was dyed a deep blue and blue puzzle piece coffee stoppers have been placed in the bookstore.

Not many people are educated on some essential facts on autism, so here are a few in case you ever want to join a conversation about Autism Speaks or just want some more information about autism in general:

-Autism costs a family $60,000 a year, on average.

-Autism affects 1 in 68 children

-Boys are nearly 5 times more likely than girls to have autism

The TCNJ Autism Awareness Club is volunteering and participating in a 5K run supporting the Woods Autism program. Alpha Xi Delta recently hosted a soccer tournament in which all the proceeds went to Autism Speaks, and has other events throughout the month to support the organization.

Aside from all the good that these organizations to raise awareness and money for the Autism Speaks, there is still some turmoil surrounding the organization and some of the things it has stood for in the past. The organization has revamped their mission statement recently and promotes awareness and acceptance for people with autism, while raising money to help families who have a child with autism pay their medical bills. The new mission statement is: “Autism Speaks is dedicated to promoting solutions, across the spectrum and throughout the lifespan, for the needs of individuals with autism and their families through advocacy and support; increasing understanding and acceptance of autism spectrum disorder; and advancing research into causes and better interventions for autism spectrum disorder and related conditions.” (autismspeaks.org)

The work that the student groups are doing for Autism Speaks is notable, and shows that TCNJ is a community of caring individuals who will work tirelessly for a charity they support. Aside from the negativity that surrounds Autism Speaks and the organizations on campus who support it, it is fantastic that so many people are willing to show support and raise awareness, even if they do not have a personal connection to someone with autism. Whether you support Autism Speaks or not, you should at least acknowledge that students at TCNJ have large hearts, and can make a difference in the world.

If you want to read more about autism: www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/facts-about-autism

Maddi is the current President and Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a senior journalism student at The College of New Jersey who loves pugs, napping, and all things food.
TCNJ Senior Journalism major, Interactive Multimedia minor.