This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

For many, after a seemingly endless winter, it’s a refreshing and uplifting sight to see green grass, budding trees, and flowers blossoming around campus. Unfortunately, those who suffer from seasonal allergies are having a hard time embracing the warm weather.

Read on for ways to survive allergy season!

Cool Compress—If you constantly experience irritating, puffy red eyes, one of the most soothing remedies is a wet paper towel. Lay a piece over your sore eyes to feel some relief.

Close your Windows—Whether you’re in your dorm or driving in your car, keep the windows closed and the air conditioner on. This keeps the allergens out and fresh air in.

Microwave Fruit for a Few Seconds—It seems weird right? But if you have seasonal allergies, you may be sensitive to certain fruits during the spring. If you peel or microwave fruit for about 15 seconds, the protein that irritates your mouth breaks down, making it more tolerable and enjoyable to eat! Of course, be sure to check with your doctor to gauge the severity of your allergies before trying this tip.

Wash your Hands—While it seems like a ridiculously simple solution, a lot of people forget to rinse their hands after being outside. By giving them a quick wash, allergens, like pollen, will be removed. Then, if you accidentally touch your face or eyes, they will be less irritated.

Talk to your Doctor—Sometimes the best thing to do is talk to your doctor about the right allergy medication to take daily. Once you begin, your body will help build up a tolerance to the allergens that affect you the most.

Don’t let allergies ruin your spring! Follow these few suggestions and you’ll be able to enjoy the sunny weather and newly blossomed flowers without itchy eyes and a runny nose.