Summer Book Recommendations to Read on the Beach

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Just because it’s the summer, it doesn’t mean you have to get behind on reading. Here are some books to read on the beach this summer for every type of reader!

1. The Recipe book

Summer is the perfect opportunity to learn a few Pinterest recipes! Think about it, now that you’re home from school, you have access to a full kitchen- the opportunities are endless. Chrissy Teigen’s Cravings is great because she mixes American classics with foods indigenous to Thailand for some much needed diversity in the kitchen.

2. The Academic Book (And Tribute)

Why save the academic reading for when you’re at school? A good book is a good book. If anything, reading an ‘academic’ novel over the summer is a good way to stay sharp, and maybe even get ahead for the upcoming semester. Ray Bradbury’s dystopian novel, Fahrenheit 451, is a great classic to read in and out of the classroom.Macdeath, a book inspired by Shakespeare’s Macbeth, isn’t an academic novel, but it’s really funny, and it’s still reminiscent of the famous play so it will keep you thinking of Shakespeare (Probably not really tbh, but let’s pretend).

3. The Romance Novel

For those of us who don’t have a summer love, we can live vicariously! Everything Everything is a great option! From the movie trailer, it looks like a forbidden love situation, which is the best, and you can read it right after you watch it in theaters May 19th.

4. The Mystery Novel

For the reader averse to romance, a mystery or a crime novel might be perfect! They’re super suspenseful, and it’s less likely to get spoiled on social media than a TV show. Sherlock Holmes is such a classic that’ll leave you up at night trying to figure out the mystery. Plus, it inspired a TV show that you could watch after you read!

5. The Coloring Book

Why did we ever stop using coloring books? When we stopped coloring and taking naps is when life got so much more stressful. Coloring books are so fun, and now there are so many adult themed ones for every nerd, or enthusiast. The two below are for the Disney nerd in you, and also the swearer in you.

Hi! I'm Sumayah and I'm simply a college student trying her best.
TCNJ Senior Journalism major, Interactive Multimedia minor.