Summer Adventures: Heading to Nicaragua!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

“Never have I ever …” been on an airplane.

Though this phrase is typically followed by more risqué responses, my go-to answer in that game has always relied on the fact that not only have I never left the country, but I haven’t even been to an airport.
Soon enough though, I won’t be able to say this truthfully.

In a few days (June 1, to be exact) I’ll be on my way to Nicaragua with 12 girls who are among my favorite people that I’ve gotten close to while at college.

Admittedly, our first meeting was awkward and I was unsure if I’d be comfortable traveling with this group.
Now, our excursions to Applebees and random outbursts of the “Narwhal song” have diminished my doubts – I know it’ll be just fine.

Through the Women in Learning and Leadership program, 15 of us were selected for the Nicaragua Solidarity Project delegation after an application process (since then, two girls have dropped).

Despite financial struggles and seemingly futile fundraising attempts, we somehow managed to collectively gather the cost of $32,000 to cover our expenses. (Most of us resorted to borrowing money from family members and friends, which I’m sure I don’t speak for myself in expressing gratitude for their generosity).

In the process, whether attempting to collect change outside a grocery store in wintery weather or decorating dozens of cupcakes, I’ve had heart-to-hearts with girls I probably otherwise would have never spoken to, but can now consider good friends. Not to sound corny, but I’m sure after we travel together, this statement will be 10 times as true.

Solidarity is one of the key components in the trip, but it’s one of those words Webster can’t adequately define. From what I’ve come to believe, it’s all about experiencing something together; not just the fun times, but toughing out the tricky ones as well.

Last year we attended a presentation given by girls who ventured to Nicaragua two years ago, and I can sincerely say that their stories are what inspired my participation with this project.

Getting things together for the trip wasn’t easy and neither was persuading my parents to let me go – let’s just say that I’m not the most independent person, and me asserting out-of-the-blue that I wanted to travel to a third world country, well … that didn’t go over too well.

Nevertheless, they slowly came around and are supportive of my Nicaraguan endeavors.

What exactly are we doing while in Central America?

Honestly, I can’t accurately answer that yet, because I’m not entirely sure myself. I know we’re staying with a family for one night, seeing a volcano, visiting a school, meeting organizations and talking to the natives.

Of course, there’s a lot more to it than that, but I will have to wait and see what happens.

I am just trying to be as open-minded as possible, and excitedly look forward to where the journey takes me. From what I’ve heard, it’ll be life changing, and I can’t wait.

Her Campus TCNJ wishes our fabulous Campus Celeb Editor a safe and rewarding journey as she ventures on down to Nicaragua. Stay tuned for her post-trip recap!

Jessica is one half of the fantastic duo founding Her Campus on the leafy suburban campus that is The College of New Jersey. A Journalism major and Communications minor in the Class of 2012, she is a native of Pennsylvania and an adoptive resident of New Jersey. That's why she can't fist pump, but can pump gas. Before Her Campus, Jessica was a newspaper reporter, communications assistant and world traveler, having studied and interned abroad in London. When she's not writing or talking up a storm, Jessica can be found bargain shopping, catching up on a good book, fiddling with her camera or attempting to stay in shape. Other passions include hummus, tickling those ivories on the piano, meeting new people and all things Her Campus.