Steven Fabiano: Try New Things and Put Yourself Out There

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Every year we return to The College of New Jersey provides us the opportunity to try new things.  It takes a great amount of bravery and support to succeed in these new endeavors.  For Steven Fabiano, freshman year at The College of New Jersey would be the time to pursue a new passion.

The now junior Accounting major taught himself the art of animated dance.  “I never would have considered myself a dancer,” said Fabiano.  It was the encouragement of his peers and his freshman floor that lead him to further pursue animated dancing.

According to Fabiano, animated dance is a robotic style of dance that is called “animated” because it is much like replicating old films in which a sequence of still shots gives the illusion that the actors are animated.  In animated dance, the dancer tries to replicate that illusion.

Fabiano would spend countless hours closely watching animated dance videos on You Tube, downloading beats and practicing moves with precision.  After practicing over and over again, Fabiano believed it was time to perform for a larger audience.  In the spring of 2013, Fabiano performed in the annual TCNJ’s Got Talent show.  After that performance, Fabiano was determined to take home the tittle as one of TCNJ’s most talented the following year. 

Fabiano spent the next year perfecting his art.  “I was trying different things and getting feedback,” said Fabiano.  “It was necessary.”

In the spring of 2014, Fabiano took the stage of Kendall Hall once again in his second time performing in TCNJ’s Got Talent.  Fabiano’s style is rapid, graceful and robotic.  Watching Fabiano dance is like watching a machine; he does not appear to be real.  After his mesmerizing performance, judges deliberated and named Fabiano TCNJ’s most talented.

With the persistence to succeed and the support of his peers, Fabiano was able to pursue something he never imagined possible otherwise.  “Just go for it,” he said.  “Give it a shot because you never know.”