So You’re Considering a New Ear Piercing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Ear piercings and piercings in general are a popular form of bodily self-expression in America.

Nowadays, more people are experimenting with unique ear piercings. Sure you can get your good ol’ lobes and cartilage pierced, but did you know there’s over 10 other spots you can pierce your ears? Your tragus, daith, or rook are all places that you can show off new metal. And no, those aren’t words from a foreign language. They’re all spots on your ear! If you’re feeling a little daring, and think your ears need some sprucing up, go for it.

Some things to consider before you pierce your ears and when deciding which one to get:

Your pain tolerance – Certain spots on the ear hurt more to pierce than others. The lobe is the least painful because it is the softest, and a standard cartilage would be runner up. If you’re looking for something other than your lobe or cartilage, try getting your tragus pierced. Tragus piercings are lower on the spectrum of pain because there are less nerve endings there. If you don’t think you can make it past your cartilage, try multiple cartilage piercings!

The look – How do you want your ears to look? Do you want them to look flashy? Or simple but still unique? If you’re going for a flashier look, try an ear piercing like the industrial. It’s the largest ear piercing you can get. If you’re looking for simplicity but still feeling a little daring, try a forward helix.

The healing process – All ear piercings heal differently, depending on the location of the ear and the person. When you get an ear piercing, don’t be impatient with the healing process – some take longer than others. The flashier industrial piercing takes a lot longer to heal than a lobe piercing. Also, understand that it is possible for your ear to become infected. Make sure you listen to the piercer’s instructions and thoroughly clean your ear.

Where to get your piercing – You can get your cartilage or lobe pierced in just about any shopping mall. If you want to get your ear pierced somewhere else, a tattoo parlor is your best bet. Not just any tattoo parlor. Do some research to make sure the place is reputable and has a good track record.

How expensive is it? – Once you find a place, make a call to see how much your desired piercing costs. Some places charge way more than others for the sake of profit. Also, certain areas cost more than others. If you’re on a budget, plan your ear piercing vision accordingly.

Getting an ear piercing can be a big decision. You’re spending money on a tiny piece of jewelry that may cause some discomfort at first. Extra research beforehand can’t hurt. You want to be in love with your newly decorated ear. Everyone can find a unique ear piercing that fits them!

All photos courtesy of Julia Marnin

Sophomore Communications major involved with Her Campus and The Signal at TCNJ. She is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.